• DLW Edison EMU cars

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by 25Hz

Tadman wrote:@25hz, here you go. I disclaim any sanity on the part of the videographer... (might want to skip his creepy diatribe against diesels in the beginning).

It's the above-mentioned BAR-painted BL2 pulling repainted and depowered ex-DLW EMU's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We7HHqL3 ... ure=fvwrel
Wow! Thanks!

Sounds good for its age from what i could hear.

And, am i remembering wrong, or were the seats originally some mind of wicker material? I remember wicker was used on some subway, rapid transit and EMU and other cars and due to several factors eventually vinyl became the standard on the soft seats, and the subway cars and most rapid transit cars got the hard fiberglass.
  by baldwr

blockline4180 wrote:
baldwr wrote: 6 years old when they were retired. Still seems like yesterday I was riding the farwell excursions out of Maplewood, documenting the second to last day out of Hoboken with my dad, and sitting at Covent Station as the last train rolled by.

I was about the same age.... My father had to have taken me on them about 3 dozen times from 1982 until the end... Only a handful of photos to show for it, but the memories will last forever.. I sure do miss them!! We use to take trips from Convent to Maplewood or short trips to Denville and Chatham several times... Usually it was a push pull, but sometimes I'd make my father wait extra long for the Morristown local.

Did you grow up in the area??

Steve
Yes... Chatham '78-84... Morristown (Mendham) '84-'86 ... Maplewood '86-2000. In 2009 I moved back to NJ, but landed in CNJ territory (Bridgewater / Bound Brook). I just moved out to Clinton this past summer.

My dad and I used to ride in and out of Hoboken most weekends. We would catch whatever we could, but it was always a mix of DL&W MUs (code named "Icky" trains) and the Comet 1 PPs (code named "Super" trains). On some weekends we used to "commute" to Mountain station for a haircut (Dad's barber was right by the station), then walk up the hill to my grandparent's house in West Orange.
  by keyboardkat

lirr42 wrote:
pumpers wrote:Are the Acela engines on both ends powered, or just the leading one?
Both engines are powered, however the leading one only provides traction power, while the trailing unit only provides HEP.
I didn't know this. I always assumed that both "power cars" (locomotives) provided propulsion power. After all, the train has only six passenger cars. A static inverter in either locomotive could provide ample HEP, while the locomotive is providing propulsion, similar to the HH-8s and AEM-7s. It's not like there's a big diesel prime mover in either of them that has to be re-purposed, either HEP or propulsion. So I find this difficult to understand.
  by ryanov

keyboardkat wrote:
lirr42 wrote:
pumpers wrote:Are the Acela engines on both ends powered, or just the leading one?
Both engines are powered, however the leading one only provides traction power, while the trailing unit only provides HEP.
I didn't know this. I always assumed that both "power cars" (locomotives) provided propulsion power. After all, the train has only six passenger cars. A static inverter in either locomotive could provide ample HEP, while the locomotive is providing propulsion, similar to the HH-8s and AEM-7s. It's not like there's a big diesel prime mover in either of them that has to be re-purposed, either HEP or propulsion. So I find this difficult to understand.
They do both provide power; he is wrong.
  by ChrisU

Does anyone know the number of the car that Thomas Edison operated from Hoboken to Montclair?
  by ryanov

NJTArrow2 wrote:Does anyone know the number of the car that Thomas Edison operated from Hoboken to Montclair?
It might be on the plaque on the wall in Hoboken that describes it.
  by Tadman

Somewhere there's a picture of Edison at the controls. I don't know where it's at and I need to leave for a meeting (reached, of course, over a ride on our local 600vDC trains). I did find this pic by googling "thomas edison lackawanna".

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/images/ ... cc9c1d.jpg
  by ChrisU

Tadman wrote:Somewhere there's a picture of Edison at the controls. I don't know where it's at and I need to leave for a meeting (reached, of course, over a ride on our local 600vDC trains). I did find this pic by googling "thomas edison lackawanna".

Thanks for posting!
  by Ken W2KB

NJTArrow2 wrote:
Tadman wrote:Somewhere there's a picture of Edison at the controls. I don't know where it's at and I need to leave for a meeting (reached, of course, over a ride on our local 600vDC trains). I did find this pic by googling "thomas edison lackawanna".

Thanks for posting!
I'm pretty sure that the gentleman to the left (at Edison's right) in the photo is Thomas N. McCarter, founder and first president of Public Service Corporation of New Jersey, now PSEG. For years the huge trolley business was the most important, followed by gas and finally electric. The electric business in some areas actually started by selling power for lighting off the trolley system.