Railroad Forums 

• Signal trainee position

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#991232  by Ironman1769

Hi, I recently took a test for the metro north signal trainee position. Now, I guess on to the background check. However,at the testing site in white plains we were asked a question.. What is the function of a signal trainee. Can anybody help me with that question?

Thanks
 #991420  by pbass

When I transferred into the signal dept,Penn Central was still the operator so my memory may have lapses.As a trainee,you are to get acclimated to the safety rules,signal rules,rules of the operating department,track structure,work with experienced signal department personnel to learn how the signals & switches operate,how to maintain and trouble shoot switch & signal failures,change gears in a switch machine,adjust the switch rods so the switch points are tight on the stock rails,read schematics. Monthly,ICC switch tests are performed to see that the switches close properly. Generally speaking,you are to learn the practices of the signal department. Good luck in your endeavor.
 #991599  by pbass

I said I have memory lapse:the monthly ICC tests are where a quarter inch block is inserted between the stock rail and a closed switch point to ensure that the contacts in the CC controller box remain open so a permissive signal is not allowed.A switch point open a quarter inch is considered a failure.If the contacts remain closed while doing the test,then the switch rods must be adjusted so the contacts don't make up.I think this covers your question.
 #991708  by Freddy

The maintainer carries a quarter gauge and a 1/8th. The switch should not 'lock up' with a 1/8th obstruction. In other words with a point gaped open the contacts in the circuit controler
must also be open.
 #1115905  by matawanaberdeen

Well I didn't take tests for that specific RR but another large RR. It was a 3 part math test, a Reading/Comp test, mechanical test and the big one was an Electronics test. I have no idea what exactly MNCR does though specifically. Hope i helped just a little.
 #1353418  by andrew89

I know I'm bumping old threat but does anyone know what's on signal trainee exam for Mta? Is it's multiple choice ect? Thanks everyone I'm just looking for some tips