one-way ticket expires the same day

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, nick11a, ACeInTheHole, Kaback9

Literalman

one-way ticket expires the same day

Post by Literalman » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:57 pm

In NJ for a visit last week, I went to the Bradley Beach station to get my ticket for travel the next morning. Good thing I was paying attention, because the vending machine said the ticket was good till approximately midnight, so I canceled the purchase and bought a ticket the next day. A friend told me that NJT one-way tickets are now good for only one day. When did this start and why? (I've ridden NJT hundreds or thousands of times, having lived in NJ for a long time, but I now live in Virginia.)
Steve Dunham
Alexandria, Virginia
http://www.stevedunham.50megs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

andrewjw

Re: one-way ticket expires the same day

Post by andrewjw » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:16 pm

I ride NJT frequently and fairly recently and this policy was not in place as of just a few weeks ago.

Furthermore, from https://www.njtransit.com/ti/ti_servlet ... lTicketsTo:
One-Way Tickets
One continuous trip between the stations on the ticket. One-way tickets are valid until used (no expiration) and are non-refundable.

I conclude that the vending machine was mistaken.

lensovet

Post by lensovet » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:14 pm

if you use the NJTix app the tickets in there are supposed to never expire
Paul Borokhov

Last RRPicArch addition – NJ Railfan.

NJT RailCalifornia commuter (mod)

Regardie

Post by Regardie » Mon May 07, 2018 3:17 pm

Literalman wrote:In NJ for a visit last week, I went to the Bradley Beach station to get my ticket for travel the next morning. Good thing I was paying attention, because the vending machine said the ticket was good till approximately midnight, so I canceled the purchase and bought a ticket the next day. A friend told me that NJT one-way tickets are now good for only one day. When did this start and why? (I've ridden NJT hundreds or thousands of times, having lived in NJ for a long time, but I now live in Virginia.)
My guess is that you were purchasing a ticket on a Friday night for Saturday travel and mistakenly selected a weekly instead of a single ride ticket. The weekly will expire at midnight or so, depending on the conductor.

Launcher

Post by Launcher » Thu May 17, 2018 2:01 pm

It may have a valid explanation but the machines are misleading at best. At worst, it is a hint that policy shift may be forthcoming.

I tried to buy a round trip recently at my station and machine told me it had a validity period of a year. I double checked the printed schedule which indicates the policy is still to have tickets never expire. I hope they are not piloting a change in policy at the machines or considering phasing one in. Does anyone know when is the next scheduled fare increase? I still am skeptical of everything, operating on the memory of NJT rolling out the sudden elimination of the offpeak roundtrip discounts in 2010, that which resulted in a sudden 22% fare hike for occasional weekend passengers.

andrewjw

Post by andrewjw » Fri May 18, 2018 4:16 am

I've bought tickets recently and have seen no indications of this expiration. I suspect Literalman misinterpreted some message in the payment process, or some such.

Launcher

Post by Launcher » Sun May 20, 2018 3:19 pm

andrewjw wrote:I've bought tickets recently and have seen no indications of this expiration. I suspect Literalman misinterpreted some message in the payment process, or some such.
Check again next time. I believe that it's optional to select and view expiration details when purchasing the ticket. It does not pop up automatically.

Return to “New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT”