Railroad Forums 

• 2015 Blizzard... (Or Lackthereof....)

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1314107  by airman00

Latest forecast calls for 2 feet+ of snow (possibly up to 3 feet) in addition to 50 to 70 mph winds and power outages. This one looks like an absolute worst case scenario. Stay safe everyone! As far as NJT goes how bad might they be affected?
 #1314184  by Steve F45

frozen/stuck switches, signal problems, catenary problems....typical stuff whenever it snows in nj. 3 feet of snow no matter how you put it and no matter how much you prepare for it, will slow stuff down and even stop stuff from running.
 #1314212  by transit383

There will likely be a few 'backwards' sets with locomotives on the east end for the duration of this storm.
 #1314266  by airman00

I just heard on WCBS 880, news radio, that NJT will shut down (or suspend operations?) at 10pm tonight. (if I'm wrong forgive me) Also the Govenor has issued a state of emergency. This is bad. If they are shutting down then there expecting the worst.
 #1314272  by nomis

airman00 wrote:I just heard on WCBS 880, news radio, that NJT will shut down (or suspend operations?) at 10pm tonight. (if I'm wrong forgive me) Also the Govenor has issued a state of emergency. This is bad. If they are shutting down then there expecting the worst.
Per the banner headline, trans will depart the point of origin at 8pm, and all should arrive to their final destinations by 10pm.
 #1314276  by srock1028

nomis wrote:
airman00 wrote:I just heard on WCBS 880, news radio, that NJT will shut down (or suspend operations?) at 10pm tonight. (if I'm wrong forgive me) Also the Govenor has issued a state of emergency. This is bad. If they are shutting down then there expecting the worst.
Per the banner headline, trans will depart the point of origin at 8pm, and all should arrive to their final destinations by 10pm.
A list of train numbers and initial terminal departure times will be posted shortly, please stand by.
 #1314288  by Amtrak7

The notice now says rail service will be down until Thursday AM.
 #1314291  by CNJ Fan 4evr

It's never ending glee for these weather nerds in predicting this storm. They don't think about how it affects the normal working public.I just hope; like the Super Bowl,this storm doesn't live up to all the hype.
 #1314292  by morris&essex4ever

So much for global warming.
 #1314309  by airman00

News radio said amtrak (for NEC trains) on modified schedule. That's all I heard. Don't know what that entails or if they too might shut down.
 #1314335  by nick11a

There seems to be a fair amount of variation in the accumulation forecasts. What seems clear is that a lot of snow will fall, how much? We'll see....
 #1314376  by airman00

Weather Channel is calling for the potential for up to 3 feet of storm surge too. Hoboken could maybe see flooding?