Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1100294  by blockline4180

Very very bad on NJT!!!
The transportation headaches in New Jersey are far from over with the rail operations centre of NJ Transit crippled by eight feet of water, and at least 65 locomotive engines and 257 rail cars damaged.

“There is major damage on each and every one of New Jersey’s rail lines,” Governor Chris Christie said. “Large sections of track were washed out.”
http://postnoon.com/2012/10/31/devastat ... very/84651
 #1100296  by millerm277

jamesinclair wrote:I have a friend arriving at ewr tomorrow at 7pm....any idea how to get her to new Brunswick? Are they not running substitute bus service?
The only current mass transit option would be to book her on the 11:37PM Keystone Service 639 Amtrak from EWR to Metropark. You'd still have to go get her from there, and I would call Amtrak to make sure that schedule is valid even though their website says it is.

No NJT services (buses or trains) are running, and no announcement that you should be expecting anything to change.

Realistically, I'd suggest you just drive and go get her. Also, the majority of flights at Newark were still canceled today, I'd expect there will still be a number of cancellations tomorrow, so she may or may not get here in the first place.
 #1100306  by jamesinclair

No car.

Amtrak is charging over 60 for that twelve minute ride, which should be illegal, but then she would need a cab from there.

I understand I'd rail can't work but I'm shocked thatin region with so many people that don't have cars, like me, there's no substitute bus service running making rail stops
 #1100309  by millerm277

jamesinclair wrote:Amtrak is charging over 60 for that twelve minute ride, which should be illegal, but then she would need a cab from there.
It was $33 when I checked. Based on that increase (and the previous sellouts), I'd say book now or it's not going to be there.
I understand I'd rail can't work but I'm shocked thatin region with so many people that don't have cars, like me, there's no substitute bus service running making rail stops
Currently there is no way to get to most places safely and many towns have a travel ban. I'm in Green Brook, there's no power, Rt.22 is dark, and I have to drive 20min out of the way to make a u-turn at the nearest overpass as all the traffic lights are dark. Most roads are still covered in trees and downed lines. If cars can't get anywhere, how do you expect buses to?
 #1100310  by Silverliner II

millerm277 wrote:
jamesinclair wrote:I have a friend arriving at ewr tomorrow at 7pm....any idea how to get her to new Brunswick? Are they not running substitute bus service?
The only current mass transit option would be to book her on the 11:37PM Keystone Service 639 Amtrak from EWR to Metropark. You'd still have to go get her from there, and I would call Amtrak to make sure that schedule is valid even though their website says it is.

No NJT services (buses or trains) are running, and no announcement that you should be expecting anything to change.

Realistically, I'd suggest you just drive and go get her. Also, the majority of flights at Newark were still canceled today, I'd expect there will still be a number of cancellations tomorrow, so she may or may not get here in the first place.
Amtrak is running Keystone trains only between Philadelphia and Harrisburg today, and NO stops at EWR with the limited Regional service that is operating.
 #1100359  by 25Hz

You need to have her call amtrak to see if they will let her ride on sold out train since njt won't be running. Also, she needs to get to newark penn station for a train to new brunswick. Ask to find how to do that & they will help you.

For the record newark penn to new brunswick is $28, and $20 booked in advance.
 #1100360  by M&Eman

It might come down to taking a cab from ewr to New Brunswick. Things are that bad.
 #1100370  by ns3010

Silverliner II wrote:Amtrak is running Keystone trains only between Philadelphia and Harrisburg today, and NO stops at EWR with the limited Regional service that is operating.
Service to EWR resumed around noon today.
 #1100479  by thebigham

I hope all our regular Jersey Transit posters are safe and sound.

I haven't heard too much on the news about the specific damage to the individual rail lines.
 #1100492  by M&Eman

The destruction of the Rail Operations Center means that it will take quite a long time to restore service on lines, since all NJT-dispatched lines are dark right now.

Does Amtrak dispatch Morrisville Yard, or NJT? If it is Amtrak, would it be possible for limited NYP-Trenton service to be running by Friday?
 #1100505  by Jersey_Mike

NJT can always just use the old Trenton yard system to resume service without needing NJT dispatching. They can also post maintainers to work the local control panels.

Maybe they can convert Terminal Tower into a backup dispatching facility. It does have the advantage of being several stories above most storm surges.