Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#934246  by Port Jervis

I've been getting conflicting information about this, so hopefully someone here will have the proper answer. Let's say that this Friday, I want to go from Westbrook to New Haven in the afternoon. As you know, there's no westbound service from Westbrook to New Haven, only eastbound service to Old Saybrook. So I'd have to take an eastbound to OSB and then ride the train express back west to New Haven. How would such a trip be charged? Westbrook to New Haven? OSB to New Haven? Or would one be charged for two trips (Westbrook to OSB, then OSB to New Haven)? I know this is not something which happens much and no one has the answer.

TIA.
 #934260  by Noel Weaver

Port Jervis wrote:I've been getting conflicting information about this, so hopefully someone here will have the proper answer. Let's say that this Friday, I want to go from Westbrook to New Haven in the afternoon. As you know, there's no westbound service from Westbrook to New Haven, only eastbound service to Old Saybrook. So I'd have to take an eastbound to OSB and then ride the train express back west to New Haven. How would such a trip be charged? Westbrook to New Haven? OSB to New Haven? Or would one be charged for two trips (Westbrook to OSB, then OSB to New Haven)? I know this is not something which happens much and no one has the answer.

TIA.
This is really not a good place to ask a question of this nature and I am only guessing the answer but my guess would be two separate fares; Westbrook to Old Saybrook and Old Saybrook to New Haven.
Noel Weaver
 #934328  by shadyjay

Port Jervis wrote:I've been getting conflicting information about this, so hopefully someone here will have the proper answer. Let's say that this Friday, I want to go from Westbrook to New Haven in the afternoon. As you know, there's no westbound service from Westbrook to New Haven, only eastbound service to Old Saybrook. So I'd have to take an eastbound to OSB and then ride the train express back west to New Haven. How would such a trip be charged? Westbrook to New Haven? OSB to New Haven? Or would one be charged for two trips (Westbrook to OSB, then OSB to New Haven)? I know this is not something which happens much and no one has the answer.

TIA.

I would ask the conductor upon boarding and tell him you ultimately want to go west to New Haven. He/she may either cut you a break, or charge you the full fare.

WBK-NHV direct: $5.25
WBK-OSB-NHV: $3.75 + $5.75

Also check the schedule, 'cause you don't want to accidentally get on a train which goes to New London, or one which doesn't take passengers back west to New Haven.

See official information here:
http://www.shorelineeast.com/index.php