Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#874723  by Ridgefielder

Just walked through GCT and was surprised to see a private car on track 35. It wasn't the inspection train-- just a single car coupled to the end of what was probably (given the track) a Poughkeepsie or Wassaic diesel express. Looked like post-WWII lightweight equipment, painted grey and maroon. I was in a hurry and there were a bunch of guys with rifles and flak jackets marked "DHS" standing around by the train gate so I didn't really walk in to get a good look at it. Anyway, anybody know what this is?
 #874749  by RearOfSignal

Whatever it was, it probably wasn't coupled to a bomb train, but just stacked close. There's no way it could get into the terminal if it was leading. It was probably brought in by one of the switcher locomotives and then around the loop and backed into 35.
 #874786  by jhdeasy

Privately owned bedroom lounge car NORTHERN DREAMS is parked in GCT for a few days while her owner and guests are visiting New York City at Thanksgiving time. They should be leaving GCT on Thursday or Friday evening for the Metro North - Amtrak trip back to Penn Station (NY) and onwards to Wisconsin.

http://www.northernsky.com/

I'd enjoy seeing a good photo of the car parked in GCT. That would be worthy of publication in Private Varnish. I'm sure a publication like Railpace would also be interested in that as a news photo.
 #874874  by DutchRailnut

My question still is when a occupied car is on a track should not camp car rules apply and no other trains have acces to that track ???
 #874890  by jhdeasy

DutchRailnut wrote:My question still is when a occupied car is on a track should not camp car rules apply and no other trains have acces to that track ???

I don't know Metro North's rules or policy on that issue as it pertains to occupied privately owned passenger cars. The rules may differentiate between occupied camp cars and occupied private varnish.

That does not appear to be the policy (it does not appear to be against the rules) on Amtrak or other railroads where Amtrak operates. At different times during the past 10 years, I've been onboard an occupied parked private car that shared a station track with other arriving and/or departing trains at various locations ... Montreal, Boston, Niagara Falls, Washington and Pittsburgh come to mind.
 #874939  by Clean Cab

DutchRailnut wrote:My question still is when a occupied car is on a track should not camp car rules apply and no other trains have acces to that track ???

Aren't Camp Cras covered under NORAC rules?
 #874948  by DutchRailnut

camp cars are covered under FRA rules:
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2009/ ... 218.75.htm

to me a occupied car should be under same rules as a occupied MofW car when laying over.
 #874978  by DutchRailnut

they always patrol the GCT complex, as does NYPD and MNPD and NY national guard.
they were at the gate to platform, not at car itself.
 #875168  by JoeBas

MNCRR9000 wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:What would DHS be doing here?
I was wondering the same thing. Seems kind of overkill to have guys with flak jackets and high powered rifles there.
If there's one thing you can count on the DHS for, it's overkill.
 #875206  by Trainer

JoeBas wrote:
MNCRR9000 wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:What would DHS be doing here?
I was wondering the same thing. Seems kind of overkill to have guys with flak jackets and high powered rifles there.
If there's one thing you can count on the DHS for, it's overkill.

Maybe DHS thinks that private car would be a great place to take a break or even get some shut-eye. I wouldn't disagree! Who's going to stop them?

But when they start giving pat-downs and cavity searches to MNCR passengers waiting to board, then I think it would be fair to say it's overkill. In the meantime, just being visually present in the terminal isn't too bad at all.