Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by metrony

This may sound like a silly question, but it's really fascinating when stops they give the trains. I know they probably do counts and watch passengers
volume throughout the day all days of the week.

Like for instance on the Hudson Line:

The semi expresses skip Scarborough in the afternoon during the weekday, but make Marble Hill (1:54,2:54). Then the 3:50 makes Marble Hill, Yonkers, Hastings and then after that makes all stops to Croton. The weekend semi express are just like the afternoon ones during the week. The evening semi expresses (9:04,9:55,10:55) skip Marble Hill but stop at Scarborough

The weekends also have the first trains (4:40am and 5:40am) out of Pougkeepsie stopping at Hastings and Dobbs Ferry, which is the only time a diesel train stops there any time of the week, which I always found odd. The last direct train to Poughkeepsie (12:08) seven days a stops at Scarborough, which is again the only time a diesel train stops there.

The three most oddest trains on the schedule are:

During the week the last two trains to GCT from Pougkeepsie during the week need a connection at Croton. One would think it will just be one super local train like doing the weekend.

The final two trains out of GCT (1:00,1:50) are super local. Traveling north of Croton needs to connect to the diesel train there. One would think there will just be one super local, but why two? Harlem Line has one.

The strangest one has to be having three super expresses during the AM Peak (stops at Poughkeepsie, New Hamburgh, Beacon only), but there is only two during the PM peak. People traveling in the morning don't come home during the PM rush hour then? I would think there would be three super expresses in the evening too. Same works on the Saturday with two super expresses in the morning, but one during the evening.