Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#481402  by nh chris

I just came across the brochure handed out on the first run of the M@ "Cosmopolitans" in April, 1973. Thought you guys might get a kick out of it:

NH Chris

#481430  by Otto Vondrak

Wow... that might be the coolest piece of New Haven Line memorabilia I have ever seen... nice find, thank you for sharing!

-otto-

#481455  by LIRailfan79

so how long did the carpeting last??

#481460  by Clean Cab

The carpeting was removed from the M2s during the Morrison-Knudeson rebuilding from 1984 to 1990.

That brochure is a rare treasure. I think I have something similar in my collection. One day I'll have to start weeding out that junk and keeping the good stuff.

#481469  by SubaruWRX

wow nice find!

#481471  by BERK44

Wow good find. Thanks for sharing.

#481514  by Noel Weaver

I have at least one copy of that brochure along with some other stuff
that was handed out to either passengers or employees.
Noel Weaver

#481604  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I remember getting these myself back in the 70s. I always liked the original M2 car design. GE put out similar brochures for NJDOT's Arrow 2s(with a pic of car 535) and SEPTAs Silverliner 4s with a pic of RDG car 9018 with the Art Museum in the background touched up. MACTRAXX

#481734  by Murjax

That was a great find. Thanks a lot. :-D :-D

#481762  by pnaw10

I know it's often frowned upon to post a reply that only echoes the same thing others have said... but this is an extraordinary rare case where I don't feel guilty adding my own thanks for posting that!

#482154  by Tadman

It's interesting there is no mention of Penn Central. I've seen pics of M2's with small "Penn Central" written in PC font just below the motorman window. It's hard to find one of these pics, but it did happen.

#482161  by DutchRailnut

Whats more interesting is New Haven/ penn Central, Conrail and later MNCR did not have Motorman windows, as the window is located in Engineers cab ;)

#482188  by Stephen B. Carey

This is great, like an early Christmas gift! :-D Did anyone notice that the brochure called it Grand Central Station instead of Terminal?

Anyone have any pictures of the interior of these cars with the carpet? Were the seats the same color?

Thanks again!

#482213  by Noel Weaver

Seems to me that the carpet in the M-2's was brown and it became very
dirty and stained. Eventually it smelled too. It was not a good decilsion
to put carpets in these cars when they were built.
Noel Weaver

#482263  by MACTRAXX

...just as the carpets on the LIRR and MNCR even # M1 cars-the LIRRs were replaced by 1980 or so and MNCRs around the same time. In the odd-numbered M2s were smoking was permitted did they have a tile floor originally like the M1s did? The new rubber-type transit floors held up well and was much easier to clean,among other things. MACTRAXX