Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by wpmnr

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.
I was on the --- out of Grand Central, and my ticket was punched wrong. I gave the conductor my WebTicket 10 Trip, and he punched two spaces instead of one. I told him, and he said to tell the conductor next time I get on a train, and they'd recognize his punch mark, and it wouldn't be a problem. Just to be sure, I talked to the clerk at White Plains station. She said to call customer service. They said to call MailNRide, which I'd have to do during my lunch hour on Monday.
Should I call them, or was the conductor right about other conductors recognizing each other's punch marks? If I called, would the MailNRide people even do anything for me?

(Post edited by moderator - We don't post specific train infromation on these topics here. Contact customer service with all of the pertinent details.)

by grabber

2 punch marks or 4

by wpmnr

2. One in one space, one in the one below it.

by grabber

well then yes he blew it. He should have circled the wrong punch hole and marked it as punched in error with his initials. When punched once in the ride box it signifies a transfer is to be made. The next guy may or may not believe the story of it being punched incorrectly, I would ask the customer a few questions about the incident and draw my own conclusions as to the validity of the story. In all likelihood the next person will accept the story and make it right. If not ...Customer Service will.

by Otto Vondrak

This happens to me all the time. I have an intermediate 10-Trip which requires me to transfer trains. Big problems. Three things usually happen:

1) Conductor makes an honest mistake, apologizes, circles the punch and initals and dates it (Thank you).

2) Conductor gets annoyed at ME and walks away.

3) Conductor gives me dirty look and walks away.

I have just come to accept that the Conductors simply do not like the 10-Trip, or do not like ME for giving them the 10-Trip to figure out. Some will stare at the ticket for a good minute, and then when I helpfully suggest which box they neet to cut, they get all angry at me. I have simply given up and accept that I am at the mercy of the Company.

Perhaps the form needs to be redesigned so that it is clearer which part is to be cut at what time.

-otto-

by wpmnr

Does the next conductor usually buy your story?
When I tried calling this afternoon, my call got dropped. I'm thinking I'll just see how it goes, and complain at GCT if there's a problem (where I understand the agents have more authority than at the regular train stations).

by Terminal Proceed

Hey Otto - buy a monthly already!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Kevin

by Otto Vondrak

You know, I would buy a monthly, but it's not worth it. I'm not on the train every single day. Some days call for me to work late or come in early for a meeting, so I drive on those days (and hate it). So a monthly would not pay.

That, and I enjoy being a PIA to all the conductors who work the Stamford Local. :-)

-otto-

by GCT Worker

wpmnr wrote:Does the next conductor usually buy your story?
When I tried calling this afternoon, my call got dropped. I'm thinking I'll just see how it goes, and complain at GCT if there's a problem (where I understand the agents have more authority than at the regular train stations).
GCT agents do not have any more authority. Only customer relations
can override what mistake conductor might have made. Problems like
this are always referred to customer relations.

by wpmnr

GCT Worker wrote:
wpmnr wrote:Does the next conductor usually buy your story?
GCT agents do not have any more authority. Only customer relations
can override what mistake conductor might have made. Problems like
this are always referred to customer relations.
But isn't there a customer relations window at GCT, where they could (for example) issue a refund or something on the spot without making you mail something in?

by Erie-Lackawanna

wpmnr wrote:But isn't there a customer relations window at GCT, where they could (for example) issue a refund or something on the spot without making you mail something in?
Yes, but in this case a refund wouldn't help you, what you want is to get your tenth ride back. Only customer relations can handle that; they'd probably issue you a complimentary one-way ticket. Next time you're in GCT, go to the Graybar Building (420 Lex; there's an entrance directly from GCT), and go to the MNR customer service center on the 9th floor. They'll handle it right then and there (well, assuming you go between 8:30 & 5 on a regular business day).

Jim