Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

NORWALK - Greenwich police say a man jumped on top of a moving Metro-North train and rode it for a distance.
Police tell News 12 that they are not yet sure if the man jumped onto the train in Stamford or Greenwich. They say there was some sort of explosion that caused the train to stop at the Riverside station.
The man was taken to Westchester Medical Center and is alive.

http://connecticut.news12.com/news/poli ... g.comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Some idiot did that on the MBTA Orange Line last month and filmed it. Which made it a particularly easy prosecution once Transit Police confiscated his phone.

I really hope this doesn't become a thrill-seeking trend.
  by chrisf

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Some idiot did that on the MBTA Orange Line last month and filmed it. Which made it a particularly easy prosecution once Transit Police confiscated his phone.

Given that the M-N train surfer was found on fire, I suspect this won't become widely popular:
http://www.wfsb.com/story/27336532/ohio ... orth-train" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by NH2060

How the guy got on top without getting electrocuted in the first place is astounding.

Perhaps we need Operation Lifesaver to do a PSA on train surfing? These stories seem to be popping up more often than one might think.
  by Travelsonic

chrisf wrote:
F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Some idiot did that on the MBTA Orange Line last month and filmed it. Which made it a particularly easy prosecution once Transit Police confiscated his phone.

Given that the M-N train surfer was found on fire, I suspect this won't become widely popular:
On systems with overhead catenary, maybe, but on other rail lines, and divisions of rail lines without overhead catenary (including the Harlem, Hudson lines of Metro North), only time will tell - I pray this does not become a new trend either way.
  by Tommy Meehan

Travelsonic wrote: I pray this does not become a new trend either way.
This is has been going on for quite a while, a number of years. In fact the New York City Transit Authority once placed ads in trains advising would-be surfers to
Surf the web - not the train. The only safe ride is inside.
It's never become very popular. For obvious reasons!
  by Backshophoss

NEWS 12 story is buried under Newsday's Paywall. :( :(
The "surfer" is lucky to be alive after that 12.5 kv jolt to his body.
  by RearOfSignal

I wonder how long until Schumer blames MNR for its lack of safety in this inciden? Media is already linking this with the Spuyten Duyvil and Fairfield incidents.
  by J.D. Lang

Another candidate for a Darwin award

J.L.
  by Travelsonic

On a side note, kinda amusing how the NY Post article on this uses an old picture of M1a 8204, 2-tone M on the front with "central" lettering underneath it, vertical blue stripe that covers the engineer can window, and all. :P
  by runningwithscalpels

The Hartford Courant used a stock photo of an R32... -_-
  by litz

It's pretty miraculous he survived at first, or even as long as he did.

That's just not something people survive ...
  by Ridgefielder

I feel sorry for both his family and for the MN crew: that's not a sight they're going to get over soon. :(