Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1257358  by 4400Washboard

Just went by the highbridge yard today and saw a string of M2/4/6s sitting in the yard. All looked normal, but one. It seemingly has no windows (Or they were plated over) and one the front nose of the train where the red stripe would be, there was the standard yellow and black stripe pattern (I'm sure you all know what it is so I'm not going to describe it). I have pretty blurry photo of the side of the car if you need a visual reference. Is this a bar car on the scrapline? The first of various NH EMUs that are to be converted to work service? What is its purpose/fate?

Thanks for any responses,

TJ
 #1257364  by Clean Cab

They're being prepared for transporting and eventual scrapping. That's all.
 #1257367  by DutchRailnut

but at highbridge ?? the plated windows are on correct side for Bar car but striping does not make sense unless a Bl14g was sitting near it .
 #1257490  by 4400Washboard

They were on the south side of the highbridge yard. Here's all I know:

1. Plated windows at least facing manhattan side
2. Had the stripes on the cab

Why scrap at highbridge? I thought they were trucked out of misc. yards along the New Haven yard
 #1257492  by 4400Washboard

All the other cars looked "normal"
 #1257495  by DutchRailnut

All M-2's leave on their own wheels from New Haven yard.
blocks of 6 or 8 cars bracketed with two flatcars .
 #1257789  by lirr42

tjensen wrote:there was the standard yellow and black stripe pattern (I'm sure you all know what it is so I'm not going to describe it).
I am not aware of any yellow and black stripe pattern being "standard" on Metro-North, particularly on the M2's. Could you describe it?

Was it red and white, and were just the windows plated over? If it looks like the M2 in the photo below, then it's a bar car:
(Richard Crerand Photo)
 #1257873  by 4400Washboard

Ok. It was definitely a bar car from what i saw from the photo. On the red and white stripe pattern, you would see a yellow and black stripe pattern. Basically, replace the white and red stripes and paint them yellow and black.
 #1258152  by Clean Cab

All M2's (and M4's & M6's) are going to be scrapped. There is no plan to use them for any kind of work train service or anything else.
 #1258384  by 4400Washboard

Clean Cab wrote:All M2's (and M4's & M6's) are going to be scrapped. There is no plan to use them for any kind of work train service or anything else.

Dang that's a shame :( :( :(
 #1258585  by 4400Washboard

Notice:

Those cars have disappeared and what looks like M8s are layed up behind the building. May also be some M2/4/6s. I studied video I got from flying over the yard, but I can't be sure of what types are there.
 #1258615  by RearOfSignal

Highbridge has all kinds of equipment in it over the course of the day. M8's in Highbridge is about as rare a sight as M8's in GCT.
 #1258809  by Clean Cab

All types of equipment gets cleaned and repaired daily in Highbridge and sometime will layover for a few days for more extensive repairs.
 #1258840  by Travelsonic

Clean Cab wrote:All types of equipment gets cleaned and repaired daily in Highbridge and sometime will layover for a few days for more extensive repairs.
That probably explains the string of M8s I saw moving off the Hudson Line at Mott Haven on my way home from Manhattan yesterday. :-D *sighs* of all the times for my cell phone battery to die... woulda been cool to get video of it, but I digress. >_<
 #1258883  by RearOfSignal

Travelsonic wrote:
Clean Cab wrote:All types of equipment gets cleaned and repaired daily in Highbridge and sometime will layover for a few days for more extensive repairs.
That probably explains the string of M8s I saw moving off the Hudson Line at Mott Haven on my way home from Manhattan yesterday. :-D *sighs* of all the times for my cell phone battery to die... woulda been cool to get video of it, but I digress. >_<
If M8s coming off the Hudson line at MO get you going spend a weekday at Yankees E 153 and you'll pass out from the excitement.