Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1256916  by truck6018

mohawkrailfan wrote:Theoretically Amtrak could help the Hudson line by running extra trains from Riverdale to NYP. They would need more Amtrak P32AC-DMs, though, because per this thread I don't think Metro-North's P32ACs can run in Penn Station. I guess Amtrak could temporarily stop sending the P32AC-DMs to Niagara Falls and Rutland and use P42DCs for those routes instead.

There's also the huge problem of platform slots at NYP. Overall it's probably easier to let people take the 1 train from Marble Hill and hope for the best with the resultant congestion.

I don't know that much about the New Haven Line and what it would take to run extra trains over the Hell Gate route. But you still run into the NYP issues.
Amtrak has zero obligation to run extra anything. Other than the need of extra trains, the availability of qualified train crews would need to be addressed.

Metro North's trains are not capable of going down the Empire Connection to NYP. Neither are the train crews. If I was working a Hudson south bound and was instructed by the dispatcher to diverge to the Empire @ CP12, the train would be stopped as I am not qualified to do so.
 #1256919  by TacSupport1

As of time of writing (1515hrs), Metro North has crews removing debris, inspected the infrastructure and deemed it safe, and trains are beginning to proceed through.

Of course, Metro North will be on scene for a prolonged period monitoring the situation, and future train movement. Speed restrictions and schedule modifications for less trains are in place to reduce vibrations and noise at the scene.
 #1256956  by DutchRailnut

Rockingham Racer wrote:Hudson Line customers have to take the #1 subway up to Marble Hill and transfer to originating trains there.
not anymore, all 3 lines are running despite with delays and overcrowding.
 #1256967  by Tommy Meehan

Someone who rode from White Plains early this afternoon told me his train only went as far Wakefield-E.241st St. Then they had to walk up to White Plains Road and get the No. 2 train. The NH Line riders were boarding at E. 233rd Street.

That's actually not a bad idea.

Someone who used to work for Metro-North told me one problem with Woodlawn is the platform is only four cars long. Is that still the case?