Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1122474  by kitn1mcc

thats not a Rental thats a CDOT own p40. they have knows to send cdot equipment to go do rescues and the like. or maybe they needed Diesels with ACCESS for somthing. i know they have sent some of the later night Cdot on rescue missions
 #1122506  by Clean Cab

I seriously doubt a CDOT recuse engine would wind up in Boston. Amtrak would dispatch and engine out of Providence rather than have a CDOT unit go all the way to Boston. Plus I doubt a GP-40 would be used for such purposes.
 #1122521  by DutchRailnut

CDOT owns the 6 P40's for SLE.
now back to original poster who said the unit he saw was a NH painted P32.
 #1122524  by atsf sp

It was probably the GP40 in the NH scheme that I saw then since the pic and the sighting were the same day. I didnt have my pad of paper with me so I must have registered seeing both and merged it in my mind. Though as it turns out I was right about a NH painted unit being in Boston.
 #1122539  by NH2060

"Ah. Well this has been an absolute misfire"- Peter Griffin
 #1122768  by pbass

CDOT doesnot release it's locomotives for use on other than MNRR or SLE,at least that's what I'm aware of.When I was at Harmon and a westbound[northbound] Amtrak broke down at Harmon,the only engine available was a CDOT owned FL-9 and was informed that CDOT willnot release this engine,so the Amtrak had to wait for a MNRR rescue engine that was some where on the property way south of Harmon.
 #1122975  by M1 9147

Photo proof found and it is 833 in the yards by South Station in the Amtrak Phase 5 livery, but with CDOT logos!
 #1123016  by lirr42

Well then it can only mean one thing... Amtrak stole the ConnDOT engines! Looks like someone's getting put on the naughty list this year ;-)
 #1123022  by ST214

I wonder if they are going out for overhaul. I read CDOT was going to return the Geeps to service and send the P40's out for overhaul so when they take over NHV-SPG, the fleet will be ready. Those P40's are in DESPERATE need of paint.

How many of the Geeps are running right now? I know 6697 is running. I caught her when I was down in CT last week.
 #1123377  by Backshophoss

Believe 833 was the "Hornorary Alco" with tubo problems of Waterbury Branch "relief" train fame.
Could someone post the "proof" or the link to the "photo??
 #1123475  by DutchRailnut

link is posted in previous post
 #1132073  by CTRailfan

ST214 wrote:I wonder if they are going out for overhaul. I read CDOT was going to return the Geeps to service and send the P40's out for overhaul so when they take over NHV-SPG, the fleet will be ready. Those P40's are in DESPERATE need of paint.

How many of the Geeps are running right now? I know 6697 is running. I caught her when I was down in CT last week.
They seem to bounce back and forth. As of a month ago, I was getting into work right around when the train from NLC was leaving. They are definitely in need of paint (and in the process a wash).

Amtrak runs the SLE, not MN like NHV >>> west, so it's not unfathomable that they took a loco for some mission.
 #1132642  by runningwithscalpels

I saw 6694 on the midday Waterbury train that has SLE equipment today.

Was nice to see something with a decent paint job for once :P