Railroad Forums 

• Construction at DTX

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1406323  by sb150

What is happening on the Summer St Concourse? Missing a bank of fare gates and orange fencing to the south end.
 #1406682  by tober

I've been wondering about this myself. I asked @mbta on twitter, to which they responded asking for more detail on the location of construction, which I gave... and no further response was forthcoming. Pretty odd. It certainly seems like a reconfiguration of the fare gates, and maybe a permanent removal of those full-height "iron maiden" type turnstiles that still exist. Perhaps a portion of the concourse is going to wind up inside the fare-paid area?
 #1406693  by The EGE

Additional elevators are being added at DTX in several places - the official name is Downtown Crossing Vertical Upgrade, but good info is hard to find. I believe the work you're seeing is the addition of a pair from the NB OL (Summer Street concourse) to NB RL platforms inside fare control (so that transferring handicapped passengers don't have to make their way down their whole concourse and re-enter fare control). A little bit of that is described here and here.

If I recall, there will also be elevators from the concourse to the SB RL platform, and also elevators from the Winter Street side to the RL. But don't quote me on that.