Railroad Forums 

• Wilmington Jct and Lowell Jct stations

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1391140  by BostonUrbEx

GP40MC1118 wrote:The siding or double track will be between CPW-WJ and CPF-LJ. Have not seen the
crossover arrangements as yet.

D
No. 1 track will be straight to the Wildcat. No. 2 track will be straight to the Western Route. All trains to/from the Western Route will experience a Limited Clear at best between N Wilmington and Ballardvale, at either CPW WJ or CPF LJ. This ever so slightly favors trains to/from the Wildcat when completed, which is already the fastest route despite the Medium signal to come to/from the Wildcat. At CPW WJ there will be about 500' of double track extending off the interlocking down the Wildcat for maintenance-of-way storage, ending at an electric lock into the Wildcat Branch single track.

I'll try to post a diagram a little later.
 #1391164  by BostonUrbEx

Here's a quick diagram I threw together -- red is beyond the scope of the project, but is not precluded by the project (in fact it is designed to fully support these expansions of double track). I forgot the home signals coming from the east/Ballardvale, which will be immediately east of the I-93 bridges.
 #1391180  by The EGE

Does this work preclude a full double-track junction in the future? It seems very odd to have things set up for double track eventually, but still with a short section of single track on both the mainline and the Wildcat.
 #1391186  by BostonUrbEx

I think I get what you're saying. I think the MBTA has opted for maximum flexibility (directing trains onto any track when coming from any track) as opposed to providing maximum capacity by reducing conflicts. Granted, they could opt for both if they wanted to plunk the money down and pay to maintain all the switches necessary, but I don't think the MBTA sees a need for such plans right now. Depending on the space between the crossover switches, the Wildcat might be handicapped to a few feet of "single track" inside of CPW WJ, but the Western Route No. 1 track could easily tie in between the crossovers.
 #1391245  by Trinnau

BostonUrbEx wrote:No. 1 track will be straight to the Wildcat. No. 2 track will be straight to the Western Route. All trains to/from the Western Route will experience a Limited Clear at best between N Wilmington and Ballardvale, at either CPW WJ or CPF LJ. This ever so slightly favors trains to/from the Wildcat when completed, which is already the fastest route despite the Medium signal to come to/from the Wildcat. At CPW WJ there will be about 500' of double track extending off the interlocking down the Wildcat for maintenance-of-way storage, ending at an electric lock into the Wildcat Branch single track.
You've got your tracks backward - Western to #1, Wildcat to #2.

Rumor has it they are putting in 60mph switches on the mainline at CPW-WJ, meaning a future build-out for full double-track would likely incorporate that. They way you describe things, it looks like they're leaving the existing Wildcat alignment for the MOW siding, so it probably stays as a medium speed switch. If the Wildcat ever went double-track they'd likely replace it if the rest of the interlocking is going to be higher speed.
BostonUrbEx wrote:I think I get what you're saying. I think the MBTA has opted for maximum flexibility (directing trains onto any track when coming from any track) as opposed to providing maximum capacity by reducing conflicts. Granted, they could opt for both if they wanted to plunk the money down and pay to maintain all the switches necessary, but I don't think the MBTA sees a need for such plans right now. Depending on the space between the crossover switches, the Wildcat might be handicapped to a few feet of "single track" inside of CPW WJ, but the Western Route No. 1 track could easily tie in between the crossovers.
It would be foolish to not put the Western Route #1 in between the crossovers. There is also plenty of real estate as well to stretch the Wildcat down beyond the crossovers and tie it in to create two true double-track moves. At the cost of another pair of crossovers (4 switches) you could add flexibility - but would it matter if Ballardvale was double-tracked? I modified your drawing to show what I mean.
Attachments:
(4.37 KiB) Downloaded 2684 times
 #1391366  by BostonUrbEx

Trinnau wrote:You've got your tracks backward - Western to #1, Wildcat to #2.
Whoopsies. Correct.
Trinnau wrote:Rumor has it they are putting in 60mph switches on the mainline at CPW-WJ.
Do they plan on utilizing the 60 MPH switches to their potential? Such as perhaps a new non-conforming signal, maybe call it a Diverging Clear or something?
Trinnau wrote:They way you describe things, it looks like they're leaving the existing Wildcat alignment for the MOW siding, so it probably stays as a medium speed switch.
I think you're right. This would make sense and follow precedent (Hills and Derby).
Trinnau wrote:It would be foolish to not put the Western Route #1 in between the crossovers.
It sure would be easy enough to do, but that isn't what the documents show. If you simply relocate the switch there without keeping a crossover at the currently projected switch location, you'd be unable to access the No. 2 track from the Western Route, which is slightly limiting.