• Southcoast Rail

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Red Wing

I wonder if transferring trains should be considered like MetroNorths New Haven line and it's branches.
  by wicked

Not until they fix the Red Line.
  by mbrproductions

Drone footage from 3 weeks ago showing the progress at the East Taunton Station, which is the station that we have seen the least of so far due to its relatively secluded location. One thing I couldn't help but notice was the long accessibility ramp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3NhXOT4F-w
  by MBTAVideoClips

I really like East Taunton's design. Also, will ops there be right hand running or work similar to Braintree where each branch usually arrives on a certain track.
  by mbrproductions

Most likely right hand running because Myricks Junction is double tracked for both lines, unlike the split at Braintree, which is single track for both the Middleborough Main and Plymouth Branch.
  by MBTA3247

I see that station has the same problem that Anderson/Woburn has: homes that are a stone's throw away are a 3.5 mile drive from the station.
  by MBTAVideoClips

Oh boy! gotta love "learning" from mistakes
  by OldColonyRailfan

MBTAVideoClips wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:51 am Oh boy! gotta love "learning" from mistakes
Trial and error.

Welcome to the MBTA.
  by The EGE

Very, very different situations. Woburn has a substantial amount of housing and jobs within a walk/bike radius of the west side of the station. It has real potential to serve those areas without people needing to drive:
Woburn.jpg
This is East Taunton at the same scale. At most a couple dozen houses within walking distance
East Taunton.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by wicked

What is the reasoning for no west side connection in Woburn?
  by bostontrainguy

Looks like they are going to keep that switch and side track on the west but I don't think there is anyplace for it to go anymore. The new building shown doesn't appear to have doors or a platform (the former one had a door) and the planned NET (New England Transrail) originally was going to make use of it but I don't think it's in the plans anymore.