• Questions About Timetables and Equipment

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by The Interloafer

Thanks for all the info everyone. This was a very informative thread. No one wanted to touch my question about St. Albans. LOL. That's OK, I know it was kind of "out there."
  by LongIslandTool

When the Zone Scheduling of the Babylon "Branch" was put into effect in the mid 1970's by the Railroad's Planning and Development Department, St. Albans and Springfrield Gardens were stops for West Hempstead trains.

One by one West Hempstead train stops were removed and more West Hempstead trains became Valley Stream skoots.

St. Albans remains on the West Hempstead Branch timetable as a vestige of the past. It's also easy to keep it there. The timetable has room for it and it would be lots of trouble and inconvenience for riders to change it.

Technically and geographically, as you know, Saint Albans station is on the Montauk Branch.
  by The Interloafer

Ah-ha. Thank you, tool. That explains it. Very interesting.
  by Supaned

Thanks for the useful info in this thread so far.

Does anybody have a list of which trains are rostered to be worked by diesel/dual mode locomotives systemwide?

I appreciate that operational requirements must change on a daily basis , but there must be a core plan of trains scheduled for this equipment.

Many thanks in advance

Rich
  by LongIslandTool

Someone else can give you the list, but let me offer this timetable information.

If you look at the Branch Timetables for the non-electrified branches:
http://mta.info/lirr/Timetable/

You will see that diesel trains will show a note (a symbol) next to their New York time which denotes "change at Jamaica".

If the train is listed as started or ending in non-electrified territory, like Port Jefferson, and its New York time does not have a "change at Jamaica" notation next to it, the train is scheduled to have dual mode equipment.

Hope you find this helpful.
  by Super Seis

At any given time, there are two locomotives out of service on the PI line, irrespective of what happens to be tied up in the backshop or running repair.

During a recent 'shortage'of cab cars, the replacement was guess what-DE or DM locomotives.

The P32's are no paragon of reliability, as those of us who have access to the MDBF statistics can testify. Truth be told-very few DE's or DM's break down on the road and...more often than not, the fault in question is not propulsion-related.

SS