Railroad Forums 

• New switch east of Harold on mainline...

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1477227  by wintower

Anybody have information on the new switch, eastbound, east of the bridge over the SSYD loops? I believe it may have been installed last Thursday night into Friday morning or perhaps during the day on Friday.
 #1477255  by adamj023

First time I have heard of it. I know the LIRR was fixing a switch in Jamaica and redoing others by year end. LIRR is testing the signals in Harold Yard but I wasn’t aware of any new switches installed there as of yet.
 #1477282  by Head-end View

There's been a lot of track realignment and relocating of switches on the eastbound tracks going on in that area for a long time now as part of ESA. It's hard to keep track of what they're doing when I only catch an M-3 with a clear front window maybe once a year to check it out. :(
 #1477283  by Handtamp

Been watching both LIRR and Amtrak doing a lot of work around Harold lately.

I think the switch you are talking about has been there for a while. They just recently re-aligned the tracks to meet it.

There was a new switch, crossover really, being put in by the tower. It was on the new track that was built all the way to the south that had been not used for a while.

Lots of work this weekend.
 #1477408  by wintower

The switch was not there when I passed by on Thursday afternoon and it comes in from the right of (south of) track 4. On Friday afternoon in Woodside track 4 was OOS and platforms were extended over it to allow access to trains stopped on track 2. (First four cars only...)
 #1477458  by adamj023

wintower wrote:The switch was not there when I passed by on Thursday afternoon and it comes in from the right of (south of) track 4. On Friday afternoon in Woodside track 4 was OOS and platforms were extended over it to allow access to trains stopped on track 2. (First four cars only...)
They did signal work too if I recall correctly over the weekend. Harold has been a work in progress for years. Never seems to end.

Harold has trains from Amtrak, NJ Transit and LIRR and is always active. While much of the work is for East Side Access, hopefully some of the work being done now will also benefit existing train lines.
 #1477573  by jlr3266

This is work by ESA Contract CH057D, a 3rd party trackwork contract primarily between 43rd St (over the loops) and 48th Street area to allow for the ESA tunnel connections and other improvements.