Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1468095  by nyandw

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Yaphank/Yaphank.htm

A few questions for you folks:
1. Image
Larger: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Yaphan ... Bender.jpg
a. Anyone can elaborate on this form/use/etc.
b. Georgia Pacific is now Bluelinx Co. (just to verify as a current NYA consignee/customer).

2.Image
a. Ex-Western Suffolk Produce - Potato House View N I'm trying to verify this was that industry. I'm 90%+ it is, but..
b. Emery's map http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Yaphan ... _10-57.jpg 10/1957 Emery maps not to scale

3. Any photos of the Lumber ops south of the main at ex-Georgia Pacific, now Bluelinx Co.?

Thanks!
 #1468107  by krispy

"High and wide" or out-of-dimension (OOD) cars are cars that exceed certain dimensions that can be allowed within a specific portion of that railroad. I don't know how it's figured out now but there used to be a guide from the AAR called an equipment register and it had to fit within the dimensions of a certain size to be classified Plate A, B or C, if I recall. That specific one you posted listed "C. Hill" and I'm guessing thats Cedar Hill in New Haven, CT. Cedar Hill was the old New Haven RR's big freight yard just before hitting what used to be the limits of their catenary, so it would've been vital to them that the rail car wasn't high enough to arc to or strike the wire. They also couldn't be too wide so you wouldn't have a sideswipe in two or more track territory, again the NH had a few curves that were notorious for tight clearances, such as the Jenkins Curve in Bridgeport. Any exceptions of this would either be moved in the middle of the night with no adjacent traffic, on another route or not at all.

Certain portions of the LI have height restrictions, for example the Atlantic Branch west of Dunton, under the subway bridge at Pond, etc. So a move with a OOD car would be done very carefully and are often associated with parts of electric company parts, such as tranformers, etc. Another thing mentioned is "lading", which is how things are loaded into a car such as a gondola, such as railroad ties, etc. The loaded car must fit within the limits set by the railroad the car is coming into, and the employees are taught to watch out for lading that has shifted out of the dimensional limits. An example of lading that has shifted is when Nassau Tower got struck back in the 1920's which gave the tower a haircut, I'm sure many of you have seen that picture somewhere...
 #1468211  by nyandw

krispy wrote:"High and wide" or out-of-dimension (OOD)...
Thank you!

Plate markings indicate whether a car's extreme outside dimensions falls within a standard cross-section - a useful thing to know when restricted clearances are involved. Standard car cross-section drawings, or plates, are designated Plates B, C, E, and F. If a car's dimensions are entirely within Plate B (the smallest), no marking is shown. For cars fitting within Plate C, E, or F, a square with the appropriate marking is shown. A car whose dimensions exceed a given plate will display a circle marked, to use a common example, EXCEEDS PLATE C.

Anyone have photos of freight on Long Island with Plate C markings? Thanks.