Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1452856  by nyandw

"My Life as a Read End" Memoirs of a Train Conductor by Paul Holland... Describes the Creedmoor Branch, etc. as an ex-LIRR conductor?
Any other info on Paul Holland?
 #1452860  by nyandw

Backshophoss wrote:Believe retired MN,Check thru the MN forum.
Thank you. :"..Just finished reading My Life As a Rear End by retired conductor Paul Holland. Highly recommended, and I wish more retirees would write up their tales for all to enjoy ..." is all I found.

He wrote about Creedmoor branch, working out of PENN, and GCT...
 #1452890  by DutchRailnut

Paul grew up near Creedmoor, he did not work for LIRR.
He did work for Amtrak, Conrail and Metro North.
He also was my Conductor out of Danbury for quite some time.
 #1452912  by nyandw

DutchRailnut wrote:Paul grew up near Creedmoor, he did not work for LIRR.
He did work for Amtrak, Conrail and Metro North.
He also was my Conductor out of Danbury for quite some time.
Thanks for the assist. In the book he refers to a large mental hospital in NY State, but further references the NYC west shore line, Conrail, Metro North, etc. I wonder what hospital he was referring to?
 #1452967  by nyandw

DutchRailnut wrote:Google is your friend : https://www.omh.ny.gov/omhweb/facilities/crpc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This refers me back to Creedmoor from my OP. In Holland's book, he indicates a major mental institution across from a rail station.

Creedmoor: BRANCH AND PASSENGER SERVICE ABANDONED BY CRR OF LI: 4/30/1879. USED BY LIRR UNTIL 1881 TO CONTINUE TO SERVICE THE RIFLE RANGE VIA LIRR'S MAIN LINE AND "CREEDMOOR CUT-OFF" WEST OF HINSDALE (LATER FLORAL PARK) STATION.

Thus, as it is NOT Creedmoor, anyone?
 #1453124  by NaugyRR

Psych center in Wingdale, NY, on the Harlem Line
 #1453169  by Backshophoss

Harlem Valley-Wingdale,current MN station,was a "flag stop" station (1 car) known as "State Hospital" dating back to when NYC existed.
Was combined with Wingdale(town name) station that was close by (approx under 1 mile away) during the "Conrail Era" by
abandoning Wingdale station platform.
Had a freight siding for coal deliveries.