Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Kilgore Trout

How often do the M3s still run? Are there still regular assignments, or would they only be used to fill gaps, i.e. for rush hours or holiday extras? If starting in the city, would I have better luck trying to find one at Penn or FBA?
  by inthebag

Wait on platform level in Penn Station during rush hour until you see an M3.
  by SwingMan

inthebag wrote:Wait on platform level in Penn Station during rush hour until you see an M3.

Or FBA.
  by wintower

inthebag wrote:Wait on platform level in Penn Station during rush hour until you see an M3.
Railroad humor-its priceless!
  by Head-end View

I think finding M-3 trains is totally random. I catch one maybe once or twice a year, though I only ride about one round-trip a month nowadays. Be aware that catching an M-3 doesn't guarantee a front-view. Some of the storm door plexiglass windows are so fogged up you can hardly see thru them anymore. Penn Station in the late-day rush-hour is your best bet. Good luck!
  by AlKaLI

I'll second the "like" for the RR humor.

From personal observation in my daily travels:
From Penn Sta the 5:01 PM Ronkonkoma and the 5:11 Port Washington trains often draw M-3s. (probably to the dismay of those riders)

For some reason, there will be a period of time ( M-7 inspection time??) when you will see a number of M-3s in service
  by Amtrak7

2064 and 1205 have a disproportionately high M3 percentage, it seems. May have changed recently, but that was true earlier this year.
  by Kilgore Trout

wintower wrote:
Railroad humor-its priceless!
Ha! :-D

So, my conclusion is that they can show up any time, and PM rush might have good odds for a departure from Penn. I probably should have mentioned that I'm asking because I have an upcoming flight out of JFK, and wanted to see if I could try for an M3 to Jamaica (it being one of the few pieces of equipment I haven't ridden). I'm departing in the late evening tomorrow, so it sounds like I may have a chance. Thanks all!
  by Commuter X

You have a excellent chance of catching one on track 9-3/4
  by Jeff Smith

^For those of you not up to date on cultural references, that's the track to Hogwarts of "Harry Potter" fame.
  by ExCon90

But how about the muggles? How will they find Track 9-3/4?
  by GojiMet86

You're better off at Woodside or a station like Forest Hills. Jamaica is a little too big for my taste.
  by flexliner

actually as rare as it would be to see an M3 at NYP it would be even rarer on track 9.75
LIRR very rarely runs below 13 :-D