Railroad Forums 

• All Things Cascades incl Vancouver

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1423781  by scratchy

Probably means 5-8 years from now WDOT will have to do a quick order of a few more of those weird-looking Talgo cabs to displace the NPCU's on the first-gen trainsets, but that won't be a big deal if cost gets rolled up in some scheduled light rehab contract for the trainsets.[/quote]

I think they look like the Heads of some kinda Japanese Mecha, or a Transformer.
 #1423860  by wigwagfan

east point wrote:Another mudslide this time around Pt Defiance...Too bad bypass is not finished.
Another slide today near Felida. Bypass wouldn't have helped today...no trains until Thurday.
 #1423861  by wigwagfan

electricron wrote:They're using the exact same colors on the new locomotives as the old locomotives and Talgo cars. Have their cream turned grey over the past 20 years? I don't think so.
It would help immensely if someone washed the trains. Horrible looking out over Puget Sound through a filthy dirty window. I guess the Lakewood Bypass will help with that aspect of the "Amtrak Cascades Experience" - instead of looking at beautiful water and islands through dirty windows, look at strip joints, bars and fast food restaurants - and Interstate 5 - through dirty windows.
 #1423864  by wigwagfan

AgentSkelly wrote:I seem to remember something about passenger surveys showed on the Seattle-Portland runs, there wasns't interest in early morning runs but people wanted later in the evening returns.
The early morning train out of Portland (500 weekdays/502 weekends) seems to fill up the fastest; I would think if Amtrak offered a Portland-Seattle "express" that left around 7:00 AM and made no stops en route, it might attract some ridership. That would free up space on the regular train to accommodate more intermediate ridership that is currently being turned away.
 #1423870  by AgentSkelly

Yeah, that 0820 departure seems to be the sweet spot for morning trains; from what I remember about Portlander preferences, 0500-0700 departures aren't popular.
 #1424143  by wigwagfan

east point wrote:But the Kelso and Pt. Defiance mudslides are new areas. Has the PNW gotten that much more rain and snow ?
We are setting all-time records for rainfall since recorded history, and have some very good snowpacks up in the mountains that will be fun for the springtime.

On the plus side, electricity should be really cheap.
 #1424144  by wigwagfan

Looks like AORTA (the Association of Oregon Rail & Transit Advocates) is ramping up, the latest Oregon state budget zeros out support for Amtrak Cascades south of Portland.
 #1424147  by east point

wigwagfan wrote:[
We are setting all-time records for rainfall since recorded history, and have some very good snowpacks up in the mountains that will be fun for the springtime.

On the plus side, electricity should be really cheap.
So how is the snow pack at the Meadows and Timberline ? Has the DOT needed the rotary to Timberline ?
 #1424171  by wigwagfan

east point wrote:So how is the snow pack at the Meadows and Timberline ? Has the DOT needed the rotary to Timberline ?
At Meadows 197" at the 6,250 foot level. Timberline has 165" at the lodge; season snowfall 468".

ODOT doesn't really talk about their snow dozers too much (since they are always used in the passes), but it has gotten bad enough that they have decided to test the use of salt for the first time even down to Portland.
 #1424565  by AgentSkelly

And Timberline is pretty good at keeping their road open; they run their snow plow continuously so it doesn't layer up....they did close once this year I know back in January due to the wind making things awful with the snow.