• Williams Jct closes

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by mtuandrew

Backshophoss: looks intact to me, except at this point: https://goo.gl/maps/dVqpuSfmi872" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Shame, the Ash Fork - Crookton segment is a lot more direct & less hilly than the extant Williams Jct - Ash Fork.
  by Backshophoss

The Mainlines were split thru the rock formations,just west of Williams the other main wandered off into the rocks was a helper district at one point.
I-40 was blasted thru most of Main # 1 by a lake.Trains mag did an article of the Crookton realinement as this was done in the early 1960's
  by prr60

This is a film done by the Morrison Knudsen, contractor for the Crookton relocation, called A Better Way for the Santa Fe. It has lots of information on the project, plus some features that are classic 1950's & 60's vintage travelogue. Pentrex, the rail video producer, included a VHS tape of the film as a bonus with an order I placed many, many years ago. The video is now available on YouTube.

A Better Way for the Santa Fe
  by SST

Last year, I had the pleasure of taking the GCRY. I had considered taking Amtrak from BUF to Williams but the amount of time and cost weren't worth it. I combined the Durango and Silverton, Combre and Teltec and Grand Canyon into one trip. I flew into ABQ and then departed PHX. Rented a car in between.

The Grand Canyon was pretty full that day. While I didn't walk the train while in transit, my car was full. The view of course was fantastic. When we arrived back at the station I noticed checked baggage outside. 5 bags maybe? I can't imagine lots of people taking Amtrak solely to ride the Grand Canyon. I wonder how many people flew into either PHX or Flagstaff and rented a car. And if you are taking the train, taking a bus from 30 miles away would discourage me from taking the train in the first place.

It was mentioned earlier that passenger trains are late. How will this improve with the change to Flagstaff? If you're late here, your gonna be late there and now I have to take a bus? Does Amtrak just wanna get rid of Williams just to eliminate a stop?
  by electricron

SST wrote:It was mentioned earlier that passenger trains are late. How will this improve with the change to Flagstaff? If you're late here, your gonna be late there and now I have to take a bus? Does Amtrak just wanna get rid of Williams just to eliminate a stop?
No, I think it is the other way around, Williams wanted to get rid of the train stop.
  by Backshophoss

The Williams Jct stop and shuttle bus predate the sale to Xterra,it was started by the staff that brought back the GCRY from Nature's "takeover" of the ROW.
Not sure if there were plans to buils a Station/shelter at the remains of Wiiliams Jct station.
After # 3 leaves ABQ,NMRX hands off back to BNSF DS-18 at Isleta,It' handed off to DS - 8 to Gallup,then DS - 9 to Winslow.
Gallup Sub does get congested at times EB into Belen and around Gallup yard.There are still unit coal trains to Tuscon Electric power plants at
Coronado and Springerville and off the Transconn at Joseph City(shared plant with PNM).
That's how #3 gets delayed in to Flagstaff/Williams Jct.

Remember UPS rules the roost on the Transconn!