Railroad Forums 

• Motor/Gear upgrades for Locos

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#31454  by CVSSDragonslayer

RC

Thanks for the info. Thought that was what I had to do.
Unit has sentimental value due to it's age and the work
put into it. So we will disconnect the motor, and use it as
a display and/or dummy

Bob
 #31584  by Virginian

Most of the old brass steam I had ran great with the angled can motors and the gearbox riding on a sprung axle. (I have sold most of it as newer plastic models of the prototypes have become available. The prototypical design of brass articulateds doesn't look good on "normal" radius layouts in my opinion.) Those Canon motors were good.
NWSL can supply about anything you need if you can get them the proper information. If you plan to do much of this, you would be well served to get a Quarterer and a wheel puller from them. It's too easy to mess up freehanding.