Railroad Forums 

• Frustrated with Bachmann's HHP-8 delay? Here's a suggestion

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#62876  by mlrr

Hi guys,

According to Bachmann, they are waiting for Amtrak to sign off on thier prototype model before it goes into production. It's been more than 2 months since the preliminary model was submitted and Bachmann is still waiting, last time I checked. As a result, the chances of this locomotive's production slot being pushed back is even greater than before.

Here is what I did, and I hope as many of you will do the same in an effort to put the pressure on Amtrak not to procrastinate.

Contact the customer service via the Amtrak website and explain the situation and ask for information regarding the subject as to what progress is being made. I'm hoping this will act almost like a petition.

My urgency to get a hold of this loco before March is probably greater than anyone else here at the moment (long story, but I'm sure you'll all understand if I explained it).

Anyway, I'd like to thank all those who will consider taking these steps to contact Amtrak and "make our voices heard" (lol) and of course thank you to everyone else who took the time to read this post.

Thanks again!
 #76354  by dijgrum

According to Bachmann, Amtrak made some roof modifications to the protoype HHP-8's that need to be made to the molds for the model. Bachmann had presented a finished (decorated) PRODUCTION model to Amtrak for approval when the difference in the roof was noted. Amtrak would not approve the model for sale until the correction was made. Bachmann says the change to the mold is being done now and that production should start after the Chinese New Year with delivery in the U.S. around August of 2005. I guess they just want it done right! I saw a sample of the "incorrect" model and it looked great! I really don't know how they can improve it!

#76389  by Otto Vondrak

mlrr- that's a great idea: annoy Amtrak and Bachmann into submission! Make them release that model, darnit! The model will come out when it's ready- what's the rush?

-otto-

#76392  by mlrr

Otto Vondrak wrote:mlrr- that's a great idea: annoy Amtrak and Bachmann into submission! Make them release that model, darnit! The model will come out when it's ready- what's the rush?

-otto-
What I attempted to state in my initial post is that Bachmann was waiting for a response from Amtrak to get a response for 3 to 4 months it ended up being. How long does it take to look over the model and say "It's not right, do this that etc." Apparently 3 to 4 months. My goal was to prevent procrastination.

Now the "rush" is that after March, I will have to break down my layout. I was counting on the HHP to be released by December so that I'd have a good three months to operate and enjoy the model. Now that won't happen. It will be years before I get to operate that model as I won't be able to set up my layout again until (worst case scenario) after grad school which is years away.

I'm currently trying to re-configure my layout so set-up times will be reduced. If that happens then maybe there won't be a "rush", but unfortunately, I don't live in my own place, nor do I have a basement as I live in an apartment. And since my parents barely show support for my hobby as it is, they do not like the idea of having my layout set up while I'm away at school for months at a time. I'm also not one of those students that go home every weekend or something. I only come home for the major holidays and breaks. I'm hoping to have my layout set up so that I can set it up during those breaks.

Another thing to note is that I didn't request to "annoy" Bachmann, but "annoy" Amtrak as they were the ones causing the delay. Bachmann did their part and pulled their weight. Amtrak was slow on feedback. Now if there's more to the process I'm more than willing to hear what you have to share with me on the subject.

I hope this answers the question.

dijgrum,

thanks for the update!

#76535  by Otto Vondrak

This may not be a matter that requires outside intervention. I'm sure Amtrak and Bachmann can deal with this on their own. Also, Amtrak may have more important things to worry about, too (and it's their license, so they can take as much time as they want). When the model is released, we'll all be able to enjoy it that much more.

You have to learn some patience in this hobby when it comes to releasing new models, especially when government agencies are involved (aren't you glad that the USPS doesn't have to license every RPO model made?).

-otto-

#76584  by AmtrakFan

Otto Vondrak wrote:mlrr- that's a great idea: annoy Amtrak and Bachmann into submission! Make them release that model, darnit! The model will come out when it's ready- what's the rush?

-otto-
I wish It would come I would love to get I would e-mail Amtrak to see what's going on.

John

#76748  by mlrr

AmtrakFan wrote:

-otto-
I wish It would come I would love to get I would e-mail Amtrak to see what's going on.

John
Well it seems that Amtrak FINALY, got back to Bachmann recently and told them of the changes that had to be made. My friend was at the "Worlds Greates Hobby" train show this weekend and he spoke to the Bachmann rep. According to him, he said that Bachmann could have released it this month (that is had produced the model based on the prototype model), but Bachmann realized some flaws and basically decided to get it right the first time around. I find this commendable even though it means that I won't get to see it before I go back to school for a year and a quater.

Based on the photos I've seen, the only issues I've noticed was that the loco number above the cab was a bit too big. The only other thing was the acela logos near the front on each side. As many know, Amtrak has removed them from the HHP prototype.

As mentioned already, Amtrak made some modifications to the roof shrouds. Modifications that I haven't noticed (I've checked photos and observed the locos around Philly), but Bachmann wanted to make sure they included this modifcation so that prototypical modelers or as some have come to call them "Rivet Counters", don't complain about the quality of the model.

As I said earlier, I think all of this could've been done in good time (Amtrak's "inspection" of the sample and comments). Bachmann's sample was ready in good enough time and virtually sat on the shelf for 3 to 4 months only to be sent back to the drawing board after Amtrak finally looked at it. Yes they have bigger things to worry about, but looking at an HO model and making comments doesn't take more than a day. I'm curious as to who is responsible for looking at the model and approving it. My guess is any engineer who works on these locos and obviously has experience with them. That'd be something interesting to find out!