Railroad Forums 

• My Layout: Bangor, Searsport & Eastern

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#2239  by XRails

Hi all, here are some pics of my home switching layout: http://www.train-sim.com/dcforum/DCForumID15/3167.html. More details in the message I posted there. I forgot to add that the line also goes east from NMJ along MEC trackage, allowing MEC runs into the yard. Comments welcome! Here is my current motive power roster (to be repainted):

GP-38: CSX 6638 [life-like]
SD-7: B&O 1828 [life-like]
SW-1500: CSX 1300 [con-cor]

#2667  by Lehigh Valley Railroad

Very Nice :D

Always nice to see swicthing type layouts.
 #3790  by jmp883

Looks like a good start, but I'm wondering if there is just a bit too much track. As I was reading through the responses to your layout someone mentioned using ground throws. I wholeheartedly agree that this is something you should consider. First, it will open up more space along your rights-of-way which will benefit your rolling stock (you might find you can run a longer car than you could with the switch machines in place), and secondly, since it is a primarily switching layout, ground throws offer the operator the realism of what an actual train crew does. Use a dental pick or similar tool to uncouple your Micro-Trains (or MT compatible) couplers and you have a pretty realistic, and enjoyable, operating session using 2 man crews (engineer and conductor/switchman). As for DCC, I think a layout like yours would definitely benefit. Just about all loco's from Atlas, Kato, and Life-Like are released in both DCC-ready and non-DCC versions. It may be a larger investment in the beginning, but the operational flexibility will more than pay for itself in the long run. Plus, if you start in DCC now, it won't hurt your wallet as much when you build that room-sized dream layout and decide to go DCC then, when you have a huge fleet of engines that need to be converted.

By the way, take a look at my layout, a modified Atlas trackplan:

www.geocities.com/jmpwpd29

#3870  by XRails

Nice layout! Gotta love those LV snowbirds! Great story too. Mine's more tied to the prototype, but I tried to put a little bit of character into it. I also like the way you altered history to omit the founding of Conrail or Amtrak.

My layout represents a rather busy area (NMJ is one of, if not the biggest yard in Maine), so I'm willing to sacrifice scenery for track. After being a Train Simulator addict for two years, I feel the need to get as close to prototypical operations as possible. None of this 2 track yard, two industry stuff. In other words, I tried to put a basement empire into a 6x3 layout. When I expand I think I'll be a little more comfortable with adding some more scenery. I'm kinda broke at the moment, so maybe for now what I'll do is just buy decoders for all of my locos, and then borrow the DCC unit from my friend who I always operate with. Since these photos were taken I revamped the yard setup. Now it's a little more efficient with three stub tracks and a runaround track running parallel to the yard ladder. It's slightly bigger but clears out more space in the middle for a town. By the way, do you know of any good resources I can use for repainting a loco (websites or books)?
 #8752  by alco-holic

Don't let anyone shit ya, HO isn't the only good running equipment scale around. I've been in N Scale since the beginning, and N runs as well if not better than most of the HO stuff out there.
It took guts to put your layout out there for everyone to criteek, and I commend you for it. Most of us will never be able to afford all the stuff that you see in the magazines, so just enjoy what you have, this is a hobby. You don't "have" to have DCC, and it's not for everyone. I don't use it personally, but a friend does, and I enjoy both types of operation.
For years I had a layout just like yours, finished it and had a ball running it, still have it in another room while I'm building my dream layout, 12X14 with two islands. Just have fun and don't worry about what everyone else thinks.
Thanks for the pics, I enjoyed the tour. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian

#12144  by mainecentral

Thanks for the pics! I like to see people model anything in Maine(Even if it's not accurate , I believe that's called having a "Modeller's License" :D , so don't worry about that!!), ENJOY!!

#21192  by Otto Vondrak

I would like to see more pictures of your layout when you get a little farther along with the scenery... we would love to have a story about an N scale layout here on RAILROAD.NET...

-otto-

#21367  by XRails

Sure. I have really no time to work on it during the schoolyear, but I'll be out in 2 weeks. Aside from a 4 week-long family vacation, the summer is pretty much mine to work on it. Right now it looks about the same, but I'm reworking the yard to make it more streamlined. As mentioned before, it will have a tail running parallel to the mainline on the left (yeah, more track to buy!) and a runaround parallel to the yard ladder. The yard itself will now be three stub sidings and the engine house, maybe a service track if space allows (probably not). This setup will allow the yard switcher to work completely independant of the mainline, allowing up to three locos on the layout at once (yard, mainline/Branch 1, mainline/Branch 2). To this end I am asking for a few decoders on my B-day that I will use with my friend's DCC system until I get my own. I'll get a webshots account soon to keep my pics on. I'll keep you guys updated as I go along. Once I finalize the track layout, the next step will be to paint the foam neutral and start sceniking, starting with the roadbed and ballast.

#23316  by XRails

Quick planning update: I'm developing a more clearly defined operation plan including regular activity with BAR and MEC. I decided my timeframe will be 1970-1990, with the omission of Guilford from history (good riddance!) Maybe I can bring back some other fallen flags with more "anti-mergers". I'm adding a 3x3 sheet of plywood to the left end of the layout to house two off-stage staging areas. One will connect to the current interchange track and serve as both BAR's Millonocket sub & points north, and also MEC's Portland sub & points west. Different operating rules will allow this to work properly. The second staging yard will connect to a turnout I will install at the bottom left of the loop. This will be the area beyond the industrial sidings into Bangor and beyond. Excessively compact? Yes, but only temporary. When/if I am ready to expand I can simply remove the "staging plate" and and continue to model north towards Millonocket and/or east down the Lower Road.

#61700  by XRails

Ok, I'm back at work and have a few questions for you:
1. I inherited a large quantity of HO scale cork roadbed. If I cut it right, will an extra 1/16" of height matter much? with all this material, I'd rather not have to buy N Scale stock.

2. Is it possible to repaint a loco without an airbrush?

2a. Is there a step by step guide somewhere for repainting/relettering locos?

3. How best to lay track at industrial sidings, particularly the ones that go into buildings or have hi-level trackside loading docks? Cork the whole thing? Use no cork?

#62230  by mc367

Like the idea about excluding Guilford, not much of a fan of the Big G, though I would like to go out and get some photos of the line, Its within a ear shot of my house, but until I get my lisence, Its more trips to the old B&A with my dad, not that I mind that. If your going to model north to Millonocket you might want to think about modeling the Golden Road out of Millonocket Yard going a few miles south of town to a few log yards if I remeber. I'm not sure if MMA still goes down there but I do remeber getting two B&A GP9's on a log job there. Its a short run but would offer some cool swiching Opportunity's as well as the other branches to the Mills at Millonocket and East Millonocket. There would be even more neat swiching possablitys within the two mills. There is so much in that area you could do a neat layout of the B&A, Millonocket North to Oakfeild Houlton and Presque Isle where the Interchange with the Aroostook Valley and Canadian Pacific where made. Makes me wish I had modeled more of the B&A on my layout.

If you need any Info about the B&A e-mail me I would be glad to help
-Justin Franz

#62556  by XRails

It's an old thread, so it probably was flushed from the active threads. I'll put up a webshots account soon for my pics.

#64563  by XRails

Ok, here they are. The old ones origionally in the thread are under the "Mark I" album. The new ones showing the revisions I mentioned are in the "Mark II" album. Enjoy!

http://community.webshots.com/user/xrails

If for some reason the preview pic says there are no photos in the album, click it anyway. They're there.