• Attaching homasote to layout...

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Komachi

Hey gang,

I've decided to go ahead and use Homasote as the roadbed for my project layout, but have never used it before (I've just used Midwest cork on the table top) and was wondering what the best way to secure it to the tabletop was, glue? Screws? Nails? Your advice would be much appreciated.
  by march hare

I've always used yellow carpenters' glue.

Clamp the bejeezus out of it for 24 hors while it dries, and run a couple of wood in between the clamps to spread out the load.

by Otto Vondrak

How much homasote are we talking about? The width of roadbed? 2-foot wide sheets? If you're trying to attach wide sheets of Homasote to plywood, may I suggest some latex adhesive (Liquid Nails is a good one) and a boatload of drywall screws. If you are gluing down 3" wide homasote as roadbed, then yellow glue and 2" drywall screws should work just fine.

-otto-
  by Komachi

Well, I was originally going to put two big sheets down (my layout consists of two modules), however, the more I think about it, I may just cut into strips under the track. I can save on material (weight) and also add a little topography to the layout at the same time. Either/or, it looks like carpenter's glue, drywall screws, clamps and lots o dead weight are the order of the day...

by Otto Vondrak

Good call- homasote does add a lot of weight.

-otto-

by metman499

I have helped build several layouts in O and HO and always screwed in my homasoat and haven't problems. It also allows for adjustment because you can take out the screws more easily and the holes are reusable for a few times.