Railroad Forums 

• Binghamton NY - New York City NYC Passenger Rail Discussion

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#807997  by Akua

I remember speaking with a functionary in the late 90s about the need and desire for passenger rail service to Corning.
A consultant?
The tracks are here, and trains pass through. Binghamton would be a stop along the way. Tourism would increase, revenues would increase. Tell me to whom to write and I will. We are in desperate need for transportation to and
from this area.
 #808138  by george matthews

Akua wrote:I remember speaking with a functionary in the late 90s about the need and desire for passenger rail service to Corning.
A consultant?
The tracks are here, and trains pass through. Binghamton would be a stop along the way. Tourism would increase, revenues would increase. Tell me to whom to write and I will. We are in desperate need for transportation to and
from this area.
Tell me about tourism. In Britain hardly anyone is aware of the existence of Binghampton. Why would anyone want to visit the area? What sights are going to attract us there and demand rail service (though I have to say I would come just to enjoy the train, but I am considered a bit weird that way).
 #808153  by PassRailSavesFuel

The truth is Amtrak is doing very well for it being a recession. I'm going to Syracuse this June for a convention in Scranton. I'm coming from the Wild West. The Deluxe bedrooms on #48-448 are already sold out. Of course there's only 3 sleeping cars on the train. I will have to board a smelly,bouncing bus from Syracuse. You know the ones that don't pay fuel tax and have grants to operate, and that are owned indirectly by a foreign corporation. It will pass thru Binghamton,( no P in Binghamton, please) Tourism or not, if Binghamton is so bad, we should rip up the roads. If it's hopeless, let's really save money.
 #808158  by PassRailSavesFuel

Akua wrote:I remember speaking with a functionary in the late 90s about the need and desire for passenger rail service to Corning.
A consultant?
from this area.
You need to join the "Empire State Association of Railroad Passengers" find members in your area, start a local chapter. Also join the National Association of Railroad Passengers in Washington, D.C. www.narprail.org there is strength in numbers. Get active. They will help direct you to meetings and people to write in your area. You are not alone, I can assure you Amtrak get calls often for travel to and from Corning. I wish I could find out, how many calls they get and for where. Most of the non NEC business is just turned away. That's why there's reservations on trains. So they don't have to add cars, before reservations people would sometimes stand in the aisles! Conductors couldn't even walk the train and get tickets. They also learned that train times and price of fares controls demand.Example Cinncinnati 3 days a week westbound 1:03AM eastbound 3:29! (Must have learned it from my favorite railroad the Erie-Lackawanna!) The EL pulled off the most popular trains first! 1&2 (after loss of mail revenue) the remaining trains were easy to get off. With fare increases time after time. Then dropping credit cards! If Corning and Binghamton are so hopeless, they should cut the road projects! I say on to Corning!!
 #810861  by neroden

Mentioned in the new Amtrak NEC Master Plan.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentSe ... 7608345018

Now, said plan is basically a consolidated wishlist, but I figured it was news. Apparently the government representatives from NY cared enough to get it mentioned in the plan. Page 100 in the PDF, or page 26 of Part 2 to use the official numbering, contains the fullest paragraph and describes it as "in the earliest stages of planning". It says that "Amtrak and states of New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania are evaluating a service plan to provide two daily round trips between New York and Scranton/Binghamton..." Yes, the report is missing the word "the" before "states".
 #810982  by Noel Weaver

I did not look at this thing in detail but what I did look at appeared to me to be a "wish list" by various politicans much of
which probably will not go anywhere because nobody will come up with the necessary funds.
Noel Weaver
 #810996  by northjerseybuff

its not a wish list. I have been following this for some time now. Studies were done and results are coming out shortly. Contact Broome county and they can fill you in more. Just because people are biased and think it may not draw people don't negate the facts..it is a project moving along
 #811000  by lvrr325

Well, when and if it happens you're welcome to come back and say "I told you so" ... but honestly and without devolving into politics it's hard to see enough of an improvement in the economy to collect enough revenue to pay for such a thing.
 #811007  by Otto Vondrak

When you hear about the states approving a budget to fund this service, then this project will be "moving along."

moneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoney...

-otto-
 #811262  by O-6-O

This topic is like a dandelion. You keep cutting them down with the mower but they come right back. Geeez, die already.