Railroad Forums 

• Saratoga & North Creek Railway (ex-UHRR) - 2011

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#953695  by N_DL640A

Otto Vondrak wrote:The bike trail proposal sounds like a red herring to block the reactivation of rail service. Just a ploy to make sure freight trains don't return to ruin this fellow's perceived quality of life...
All these "trail huggers" tend to have a very powerful alterior motive. (Read $$$) The two main people who would like to rob the Adk. Div. from the citizens of New York State and make it their own personal toy have a vested FINANCIAL interest in a trail including controlling the maintenance... but more simply their goal is to prevent the possibility of winter trains, which would ruin their profitable snowmobile rackett! (ensuring a trailroute that directs snowmobilers to their businesses)
Truth is, that region would see very limited (or no) financial benefits from a trail, and they know this, but they will stop at nothing (lying, mudslinging, etc) to secure their profitable agenda. Especially considering most railtrails are constructed by a private not- for- profit using public money, and are in turn dumped onto local municapalities for maintenance and upkeep (at an average cost of $7,000.00 per mile per year!!!)
I like railtrails when they save a long abandoned ROW from obliteration, but it disgusts me when self serving, money hungry charlatons try to steal a profitable, useful, and operable rail line from the public for their own benefit!
 #953821  by csxjs

Does anyone know what frequencies they will be using? I am heading up to Chestertown this weekend and plan to go over and explore.
 #953899  by tree68

csxjs wrote:Does anyone know what frequencies they will be using? I am heading up to Chestertown this weekend and plan to go over and explore.
I don't know - however, failing anyone else chiming in, I'd look at what the parent company uses at their other operations.
 #954021  by Trainsontime

First revenue runs begin Saturday, July 23. Over the course of the next 2 to 3 weeks, BL 2 will be equiped to make it Part 238 compliant. Went to North Creek today to see BL 2. It is sitting on the turntable. Have never seen one up close. Looking forward to seeing it on the train.
 #954163  by traingeek8223

Drove to Saratoga on a whim on Wednesday and ended up catching the second run of the day leaving the station. Was able to chase it to North Creek. Track speeds are up so be on your toes if you plan on chasing. They will make up time if they need to. Also the B39-8E now faces south. Must have turned it this week. BL2 looks sharp (if that's possible). Nice to see it posed on the turntable. Bi-level cars now painted and lettered "Saratoga & North Creek"
 #954413  by trainman895

Just got back from the first voyage! Was a really great way to see the Adirondacks from a new perspective. Food was excellent, service was great, reasonable prices. Seemed to harken back to the glory days of the railroad. Really worth it!!
 #954756  by isaksenj

Video coverage from the Saratogian:

SARATOGA SPRINGS — A new era in Adirondack tourism got under way Wednesday with the inaugural running of the scenic Saratoga & North Creek Railway.

The line has the potential to give the area a significant economic boost with everything from ski trains to freight service for North Country companies.

In addition, railway officials are already contemplating the possibility of offering commuter trips to Albany.

http://www.saratogian.com/articles/2011 ... 317101.txt
 #954873  by tahawus84

Wow looks like tracks speeds are way up from years ago. I am going to ride next week hopefully and take some pics. But commuter trips to albany? Are there that many commuters in north creek?