Railroad Forums 

• RVRR

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#4557  by RVRR Resurrected

Demand for rail service goes back and forth. For the last 20-30 years trucking has taken a huge chunk out of the shipping/receiving market. Industry is once again looking to rail as a shipping alternative. Over the last ten years or so, many businesses along the tracks have changed hands or moved out all together leaving vacant industrial sites sitting there. With the railroad coming alive again, this property will now seem more attractive to potential buyers and developers.

The M&E runs a tight ship. They have a great safety record and I’m sure their reliability is equally as impressive. Despite all the bickering by the NIMBY's, the businesses will do what's best for them and their pockets. If using rail to ship and receive a majority of their bulk purchases saves them cash and makes them more productive, they are surely going to do it. This is just a guess by observation, but I would say there is probably close to 100 businesses that can be served by the railroad either from direct connections or team track. Last time I heard here were two places already giving commitments to the M&E for service. Two doesn’t seem like many, but considering the railroad isn't even operational yet I'd say it’s a good start. Once they’re up and running many other businesses will take notice. As of right now, the M&E does the switching at Bayway so even if there wasn’t any customers on the line, the tracks would still be useful for moving equipment and those plastic pellets they carry. In any case, it's not really costing the M&E much in out of pocket expenses with the State/County fitting most of the bill so they really do have a head start.

I haven’t seen much going on in terms of work. Spring is here so hopefully they'll complete all the phases up to Liberty Ave in Union by end of summer with the trains Running By October.
 #4839  by TheBaran

CGRLCDR...

If you were traveling west on RT. 28 (Westfield Avenue) approaching the GSP Cranford entrance, the railroad crossing is the old RVRR connection with the CNJ (now Raritan Valley Line). This portion of the line is planned to be re-activated (some brush cutting has been done in the area, but nothing much else). At one time, the RVRR line crossed Westfield Avenue and curved east to the CNJ connection (current alignment curves west). The Aldene Station was located where the Burger King and Sun Tavern now exist. The Aldene Plan resulted in major changes to the area to support construction of the ramp connecting the CNJ to LV. If you look closely at the track-side of the building to the north of Westfield Avenue, you will see additional trackage nearest the building (the business is "Son Rise" copiers I believe). This may be a remnant of the pre-Aldene Plan alignment of the RVRR. BTW, the RVRR crossing of Westfield Avenue was the location of a NIMBY protest led by Roselle Park mayor Joe DeIorio last summer. We paraded across Westfield Avenue several time to intentionally hold-up traffic, in an attempt to replicate the traffic delays that would be caused by the "mile-long" freight trains. I participated and carried a pro-rail/anti-mayor sign and was not well received by the protestors.

#5175  by rvrrhs

CGRLCDR wrote:A map that I keep in my pickup truck shows the RVRR connecting with the Lehigh Valley line between Roselle Station and Cranford. However, I drove that area earlier today and couldn't see where they interconnect. I found what appears to be an abandoned branch just west of Roselle Station that is seriously encroached and then I found an abandoned siding just before the entrance to GSP North in Cranford coming off the LVL , but I don't think that either one of those were the RVRR.

Can someone explain to me where those lines will connect?
Well, the eastern branch is basically gone. It passed west of the high school and connected with the LV just west of the Roselle Park NJT station, between the little league field and the pool supply place.

The western branch is what still exists. That's what crosses Westfield Ave. next to Horan Garden Center from the old CNJ (now NJT's Raritan Valley), and that's where the new RVRR will connect with CNJ, LV, and SIRR.

You can see some maps at Steve Lynch's Rahway Valley Railroad site (http://www.trainsarefun.com/rvrr/rvmaps.htm).

#5179  by rvrrhs

By the way, for those who don't already know, there is a whole forum dedicated to the Morristown & Erie, the SIRR, and the Rahway Valley under "Short Lines & Industrials."

#5361  by CGRLCDR

Alan,
Thanks for the information. Evidentally the lines that I saw were the remnants of the RVRR. The abandoned line by the Roselle Park Station must be what you refer to as the eastern branch. The branch that crosses Westfield Ave by the entrance to the GSP must be the western branch then. I incorrectly stated that it ran off the LVL, but I realize now that it comes off the old CNJ.

Anyhow, the dogs and I are having a ball driving around in the pickup truck every weekend observing what progress RR Construction has made putting the line back in service and figuring our where it all goes. I hope to be around when the first train passes onto the rehabbed RV Line to get some digital photos. As soon as the weather gets a little better and the mud subsides, I plan to take my mountain bike out and do some serious exploring. Incidentally, for anyone who is planning on walking any part of the ROW now, use Deep Woods Off with DEET - the ticks are already out.

One more thing... How will M&E gets trains from the SIRT onto the RVL? From those maps, it looks like they'll have to zig-zag their way over unless they plan to cut a new ROW to make a direct connection. (Sorry if this has already been discussed - just refer me to the link it that is the case)

Chuck (CGRLCDR) Gullage

#5397  by CNJFAN

The Sirr will connect with the RVRR from the old CNJ via the South Avenue Crossing.

#5554  by rvrrhs

CGRLCDR wrote: I hope to be around when the first train passes onto the rehabbed RV Line to get some digital photos. As soon as the weather gets a little better and the mud subsides, I plan to take my mountain bike out and do some serious exploring.
Chuck,

You should take some digital photos of the current state of affairs, and keep tabs on it. Then, post them here or elsewhere so we can all keep up with the progress! (If I had a digital camera, I'd do the same.)

#6718  by CGRLCDR

:D Okay, I've got a bunch of digital photos of the RVL in various stages of restoration. Can someone explain how I post them here?

Chuck Gullage

#6725  by CNJFAN

I don't know how to post them but maybe you can contact the webmaster if noone else responds to this.
It may take as long as 24-48 hours before you receive a reply from him but he is very helpful and courteous.

[email protected]

Hope this helps.

#7217  by rvrrhs

It appears that a photo must already be posted elsewhere on the Web in order for it to be posted here.

This seems to be how you do it: on the "post a reply" screen, click on the "Img" button. Then paste the URL of the photo. Then click on the "Img" button again. Now submit.

#7237  by wolfboy8171981

The Sirr will connect with the RVRR from the old CNJ via the South Avenue Crossing.

Excee interlocking was removed along time ago. curently the only way to connect would be traveling west 3 miles on the CR Garwood ind track to CLARK and then making a reverse move east to the RVRR.

#7326  by rvrrhs

wolfboy8171981 wrote:
Excee interlocking was removed along time ago. curently the only way to connect would be traveling west 3 miles on the CR Garwood ind track to CLARK and then making a reverse move east to the RVRR.
I suppose they (NJT?) could build a new interlocking a little closer to Cranford, to accommodate the Morristown & Erie moves from SIRR to RVRR and vice-versa.

#7568  by denvillerailfan

Okay, I've got a bunch of digital photos of the RVL in various stages of restoration. Can someone explain how I post them here?

Chuck Gullage
You might want to look into http://www.WebShots.com

Here's mine - http://community.webshots.com/user/jbartk

Cheep and easy to use. Then use the URL tags to put links in your post.

Can't wait to see RVL pics! I don't get over that way often...

#9512  by danb

Today I was walking down the SIRR from South Ave south. In the beginning there were no replaced ties. Then every 5th tie was replaced. Finally all of the old ties were gone and everything smelled like fresh creosote. Are they working from the south? I also noticed that the buckets of fresh spikes that were lying along the ROW had obviously not been treated all that nicely by the consruction crews, with gouges and smashed tops, etc.