Railroad Forums 

• Beacon Park Tracker

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1155525  by atsf sp

I went by last night, everything in the main yard was gone. The engine house still had 3 CSX GEVOS and a MBTA F40 idling in it.
 #1155564  by MBTA1016

Nice shot ege, but it would have been nice to see the yard full of freight(yes I know the yard has closed). Where were you when you shot the pic?
 #1155630  by The EGE

33 Harry Agganis Way, 26th floor. I have (legal) access to certain BU buildings, including this one. The viewpoint is about 280 feet up in the building - some 300 feet above yard level.
 #1155643  by MBTA1016

Nice spot to pick from, is there anyway the T could use the yard at all for commuter rail storage instead sharing south hampton st with Amtrak?
 #1155673  by B&M 1227

No, because the yard isn't owned by a railroad anymore. I believe Harvard or some university owns the land. When CSX's lease on the land expired they pulled out to Worcester/Westborough. I doubt there will ever be a railroad yard at the location again.
 #1155720  by The EGE

The South Station Expansion planning includes looking at layover yard sites within 4 miles of South Station. (Scope from last year; 1999 operations report with more information). It's questionable how soon it's going to happen, but eventually they'll need to get out of Southampton. Readville has room for a few more, but the Dorchester Branch is gonna get pretty busy once they get around to proper headways. And unless they electrify the Dorchester (ha!), Amtrak will never consider Readville for their own ops.

Had the North-South rail link been built, then the issue would have gotten a lot simpler. Most stuff could have been sent to BET, and they might have actually used some surface slots at South Station for light maintenance.

But, lacking that, there's not a hell of a lot of spots left to put a larger layover / light maintenance facility close in on the southside. Beacon Park, at first, was a very attractive-looking proposition, and I would not be surprised to see the T negotiate with Harvard to keep a small area for a Worcester Line layover. But it's too good a piece of real estate for too much to go to a rail yard.

That's not to say that we won't see it become involved with public transit, though. Harvard is very concerned with its image as a world-class reputation; they will not be satisfied with piggybacking on the B line, and the T doesn't seem to have any interest in getting into DMUs. Harvard is not a hotbed of BRT support; they would be much more inclined to go for a streetcar from Harvard Station to Beacon Park via North Harvard Street. (There's a footnote in one of their planning documents about it). Fits in nicely with their plans to redevelop half of Lower Allston; take a look at how much land they own south of the Charles.

The most likely candidates for the layover yard, by the way, are probably some marginal industrial yards down by Southampton.
 #1155978  by atsf sp

At least the engine house is still fully active at this point. I drove by today and counted around 9 CSX and one MBTA loco there. That was at 930AM.
 #1162544  by jwhite07

Resurrecting this thread now that the baggage car at Beacon Park is much more conspicuous, being the only railcar one typically sees in the yard nowadays...

My question: There was once an identical-looking baggage car in Framingham, located in the middle of the wye leading to the CP Yard across the street from the present station location. I can't recall with certainty whether it was next to the west leg of the wye or the east leg... I suppose east leg makes sense in a way, since it has been removed now, and the baggage car would have been removed with it. Anyway, was this the same car that is now at Beacon Park?
 #1163308  by Cosmo

We have one just like it at the VRR here in CT. Not sure where ours came from (after PRR, that is,) but I can probably find out tonight or tomorow if anyone's interested.
II remember there was a former NYC(?) baggage car parked at Mansfield, MA back in the 70's/80's. My guess is that these cars were used for MOW stuff by the PC, came from wherever and were left wherever depending on needs at the time.
Now the "real question" is, is there anyone willing to save it? (Would there be a point? There's no shortage of former PRR/PC baggage cars... yet.)
 #1163686  by Rbts Stn

The EGE wrote:Not a great shot, but here's what it looked like a month ago.

Great angle!

You can also find that car from 4 directions on Google Maps: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=beacon+p ... setts&z=20

you might have to scroll a little to the left to see it, then spin 'er around with the compass up top
 #1165418  by The EGE

Don't count Beacon Park dead just yet. Just-released alternatives report names Beacon Park as one of three viable candidates for a midday yard. The other are the BTD tow lot just north of Widett Circle, and expanding Readville Yard 2 into the lumber yard. While the BTD lot is the most likely, it remains to be seen which will be chosen.
 #1165535  by Sir Ray

The EGE wrote:Don't count Beacon Park dead just yet. Just-released alternatives report names Beacon Park as one of three viable candidates for a midday yard. The other are the BTD tow lot just north of Widett Circle, and expanding Readville Yard 2 into the lumber yard. While the BTD lot is the most likely, it remains to be seen which will be chosen.
Interesting that Beacon had almost all Favorables (with 1 Neutral on Rail Operations), while the Tow Lot and Readville Yard both had at least one Unfavorable.
Is the plan to cover Beacon Park with a platform and build over that similar to what is planned for the West Side yard in Manhattan (NY) - or heck, what exists under Park Avenue north of Grand Central station for that matter.
 #1165554  by Teamdriver

Alot of stuff there to read, but it seems like posturing to me. Cold storage , Widett circle , Foodmart rd, and the Refer Food Act Hocus Pocus chapter. Get bulldozer level that area at the epicenter of the tracks, and tell the foodies, get out of town, well almost, we are making a new food emporium distribution center at old Stop and Shop Readville, rail siding included. And tell Dedham we are going to run East street to 128 or no solar farm. Beacon Park has Harvard hooks in it, and Harvard has smarter lawyers. Beacon Park with Harvard overtones? Obfuscation Incorporated !