Railroad Forums 

• Vermont Rail System (VTR, GMRC, WACR, CLP, NYOG)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1519675  by Fritz

Hello,
The Northeast Kingdom Chamber of Commerce will be running train rides out of St. Johnsbury as part of the Colors of the Kingdom Festival next Saturday, 14 September 2019. As it currently stands, our consist will likely consist of GMTX GP38-2 2215 on the north end, seven cars from the "Green Fleet", and GMRC RS-1 405 on the south end (and she looks really nice after a lot of shop work and painting). The rides will follow the old CP Lyndonville Subdivision south along the Passumpsic and Connecticut Rivers through the villages of Passumpsic, East Barnet, Barnet, McIndoe's Falls, Bell, and East Ryegate. For those not familiar with this route, this is a beautiful section of track along the namesake rivers of the Connecticut & Passumpsic Rivers Railroad. Trains will depart the St. Johnsbury Welcome Center (the old Canadian Pacific railroad station) at 0930, 1130, 1330, and 1530, and rides will last approximately one and a half hours. Tickets cost $14 for adults and $7 for children (12 years and younger) and can be purchased ahead of time at the Catamount Arts website (www.catamountarts.org) or in the old ticket office on the day of the festival. Even if only following trackside, please consider purchasing a ticket to support the operation of these trains.
Have a great day,
Fritz
 #1519743  by NHV 669

A truck from Burrell Roofing managed to hit the granite job just above downtown Barre. Both units (804 & 207) were disabled, although it appears 207 got the worst of it, suffering a ruptured fuel tank.

https://www.wcax.com/content/news/Train ... 351.html
 #1528544  by CN9634

Maybe someone more connected than I can (re)explain the events that led to the CDAC selling (or via bankruptcy?) of the line from Newport to White River Jct to VTRANS?

My suspension... which is my own... is that with CP coming to town someone will attempt to close that gap, either CP proper or GWI. The alphabet soup of shortlines doesn't seem to make sense with a Class I now in the mix, and further with NECR/P&W under the same roof it makes a compelling reason to cutout VRS and have a direct CP Connection (thinking ethanol trains, maybe autos too).
 #1528559  by csx2039

Two problems with that scenario that I see, Vrs wont sell and the amount of capitol needed to upgrade 160 miles of old worn out stick rail between
Brookport and WRJ would be astronomically out of balance with revenue and thier own parallel line which is in much better shape a mere 80 miles away (D&H). Also with likelyhood of CN now looking at NECR/PW as next chess move would moot that altogether... Just my 2 cents.
 #1528655  by NYC27

csx2039 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:33 pm Two problems with that scenario that I see, Vrs wont sell and the amount of capitol needed to upgrade 160 miles of old worn out stick rail between
Brookport and WRJ would be astronomically out of balance with revenue and thier own parallel line which is in much better shape a mere 80 miles away (D&H). Also with likelyhood of CN now looking at NECR/PW as next chess move would moot that altogether... Just my 2 cents.
Agreed, VRS isn’t going anywhere and CP has a better option available at Whitehall.... but if VRS could gain a connection to CN via Farnham (and perhaps ownership of the Newport-Brookport line) as consolation for losing all of their bridge traffic that would give the line some life. VRS and PAS are not the best of friends with NECR. Like you said though, it would be moot if the rumored CN buyout of NECR-PW-SLR goes through.
 #1528683  by MEC407

NYC27 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:21 pm ...it would be moot if the rumored CN buyout of NECR-PW-SLR goes through.
How likely is this to actually happen, and is there any information available that points to it being true? This is the first I've heard of it.
 #1528719  by Ridgefielder

Wait-- first we have CP returning to the Moosehead, now we have CN looking to buy back the Grand Trunk?

What next-- a restart of construction on the Southern New England? :-D
Last edited by MEC407 on Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1528772  by NYC27

It has been swirling around for a couple of months. I’ve heard it from a half dozen sources, some fans and some people who know people. I don’t have a good sense if it is a runaway sand house rumor - but it is consistent with CN’s strategy.
Last edited by MEC407 on Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1528816  by Fritz

Hello,
It is my understanding (from reliable sources) that VRS has no interest in buying the line from Newport to Brookport (and entering a whole new realm of regulations, bureaucracy, etc). Even if they did, they would not have a connection to CN, except through CP. They already have a connection to CN through NECR (for better or for worse).

I too have heard rumors that CN is interested in buying back some of their former New England lines ... more so NECR than SLR ... and also buying P&W. Whether or not that is true remains to be seen, but, given that both CN and CP seem to be in expansion mode, it seems possible.

It is my understanding that CN and Irving also put in bids for CMQ but were outbid by CP (thus, the high price that CP is paying). To bring this back to VRS, CN (or Irving) buying CMQ might have been a good thing for the WACR; it is hard to think that CP buying CMQ is anything but a bad thing for WACR (complete loss of overhead traffic).
Best,
Fritz
 #1529071  by newpylong

If CN makes any move it will be to just to reach into New England on a single line (like the CV), not an entire cluster of lines like the P&W.

I don't see anything with the Pompie in VT changing with the CP move. Guilford moved traffic off of the line and eventually pulled out of the North Country because they owned a parallel line (the D&H) at the time. Nothing has really changed in that respect.
 #1529079  by S1f3432

CN says it bought CSX's Massena line to protect the connection to CSX and prevent it from being sold
to a shortline operator and their share of the rate divisions. CN reclaiming the CV/NECR would give them
a connection to NS altho it would involve PAS. Adding P&W would get them into the port of Providence.
It's hard to imagine that traffic levels and roundabout routings would make it worthwhile- that's why they
unloaded it in the first place. Ditto SLR. Given CP's recent moves are they anticipating some change
coming at PAR?