Railroad Forums 

• Rockland Branch Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1642799  by CPF66

I am surprised they are still moving cement. I figured the junk left in the silos would be gone by now.
 #1642917  by newpylong

CPF66 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:56 am I am surprised they are still moving cement. I figured the junk left in the silos would be gone by now.
When they announced closure they said they were still going to operate in some capacity right into 2025 so they could keep making product for a bit possibly.

Sometimes companies (that are big employers) will take the nuclear option and threaten closure to get something done. Not saying that's the case here, but maybe it is with the gas line.
 #1642920  by CPF66

That was strictly for the local market. Large scale production ended last fall, the remaining product moving out is low quality mix that was left in the silos.
As for the nuclear option, thats what I am hoping. Hopefully once the economic impacts hit the community, the voters might change their views on the pipeline.
 #1643004  by NHV 669

Ameristar's passenger proposal rejected:

https://knox.villagesoup.com/news/passe ... b8IEygiLUk
Stephen Betts wrote:
ROCKLAND — A private railroad company that had proposed providing seasonal passenger excursion train service between Rockland and Brunswick said its plan was rejected by the company that leases the rail line.

“We are disappointed in the decision by Midcoast Railservice to go with the plans for Amtrak’s service," said Scott Spencer, chief operating officer of AmeriStarRail.

He said AmeriStarRail developed the operating plans, identified locomotives, passenger cars and liability insurance last December to begin MidCoast Maine Central train excursions by May 1 because AmeriStarRail believed Amtrak wouldn’t be ready to begin service by the 2024 tourist season.

George Betke of Midcoast Railservice, which leases the Rockland to Brunswick line from the Maine Department of Public Service said April 21 that time was running short to have any seasonal passenger service for 2024.

"Already a year behind previous expectations, we would have preferred to start up with Amtrak a month ago to enable any kinks to be worked out prior to onset of the summer travel season," Betke said.

He said the decision now rests with the commissioner of the Maine DOT.

Maine DOT Communications Director Paul Merrill said April 25 no time frame has been determined.
 #1643021  by MaineCoonCat

Has "AmeriStarRail" actually turned a steel wheel anywhere?
 #1643146  by CPF66

I am not sure why anyone should be acting shocked by that revelation...

Especially when the company has never operated a railroad, and made the original press release without even talking to FGLK.
 #1643177  by dowlingm

CPF66 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:46 pm All earth sold the entire fleet to the Gaspesie Railway Society in Quebec. Not sure what the eventual plan is, but if I were to guess they will be replacing the European built DMU cars which have been used in commuter service on the land locked section of the line. The intent is to reopen the section those run on in the next year. Either that or they will be used to run passenger service to Gaspe when the rehab of the line is completed in 2027. VIA was supposed to do it, but have failed to make any actual commitments towards restarting passenger service.
@CPF66 I tried to PM you but botched it somehow - I don't suppose there's anything online which supports the above statement? There is a post (might be a bit much to dignify it with "article") on Trains about VIA Rail possibly ditching their RDCs on the White River service - having to operate them on restored Matapedia-Gaspe service might change the assumptions.