Railroad Forums 

• Conditional Job Offer (Conductor)

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#937976  by grog mug

I have done numerous searches and haven't found an exact answer to my question(s). I went through the training/interview process and received a conditional job offer. I still have the physical and police background check to complete. If I complete both of these successfully do I automatically receive the job? Are these my final steps? How soon do you start training once you have completed these steps? What all do they ask you during the police interview? I just want to make sure I am prepared as possible. Thank you in advance...
 #940180  by JerseyShore16

grog mug wrote:I have done numerous searches and haven't found an exact answer to my question(s). I went through the training/interview process and received a conditional job offer. I still have the physical and police background check to complete. If I complete both of these successfully do I automatically receive the job? Are these my final steps? How soon do you start training once you have completed these steps? What all do they ask you during the police interview? I just want to make sure I am prepared as possible. Thank you in advance...
Just cause they offered you the job doesn't mean you have it, thus "Conditional Offer". Whats going to happen in the near future for you is that you will get a call from your NS HR Rep he/she will give you the dates for the physical/drug screening, then after that don't expect to hear anything back for about 2-4 weeks and sometimes more. If and when you pass the background and physical/drug screening they will call you in that time (2-4 weeks). At that time they will give you two dates, one to report to your terminal to meet with your supervisor (Usually within a week of that call) and the other being your date for McDonough Training (Usually over a week from that call). You will end up starting class on a Monday and it will last 3 weeks. While your in McDonough you can still flunk out especially the first week (My class had 2 people get asked to leave by the first wednesday) If that happens they give you one chance and thats only if you fail out from a test (like the hang test) anything else your employment is terminated with NS, like I said they don't mess around. While your down in GA don't expect to go anywhere remotely near and Locomotives, Cars, or anything to do with Trains. You will be in class the whole first usually from 8-4. To sum everything up, NS doesn't mess around they spend a lot of money on training their employees and don't want to walked on. While your down in GA you get about 400.00 for meals, around .51 cents/mile to drive here, and 100.00/day to attend class which there is 15 days of. Which Division/Terminal are you out of?