• NS to build new intermodal yard at Mechanicville

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by mick

Well, it looks like it is finally going to happen.
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

by johnpbarlow

but I do know that NS is fed up with the performance of trains 168/169 AKA AYMO/MOAY
I'm not sure how a new intermodal yard will improve the schedules of these trains. Currently NS' on-line container cutoff/availability schedule for Albany - Chicago 47th St shows 55-56 hours. By comparison, CSX Q114 goes from Chicago to Selkirk (crew change only - no car drops) in 24 hours. NS cutoff/availability intermodal schedule for Chicago to Buffalo is 31 hours so NS is allowing for scheduled 24 hour transit time Buffalo to Albany.

NS does advertise container availability at Albany (a 24x7 access facility) as 0500 but container lifts don't start until 7AM. I don't think 168 gets to Albany until after noon generally. Now I'm wondering if 206/168 and 205/169 really take 55 hours Chicago - Albany - maybe the online schedule is pessimistic.

A thought occurs to me: if this new NS intermodal terminal is on PAR property in Mechanicville, then NS can use PAR crews/track to Rotterdam Jct to access the CSX mainline to Buffalo, assuming such trackage rights are granted. Shouldn't there be some STB filings to document this?

by mick

They are fed up
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

by roberttosh

Another thing that will benefit the NS is that they won't have to split the train anymore to go down to Kenwood. They can now just have the Ayer train drop off the cars at Mickeyville. Saves both time and crews/power.

by Otto Vondrak

[moved to NYS Forum for additional exposure- omv]