Railroad Forums 

• Alstom’s automated Innovia monorail system in Bangkok

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1624410  by Jeff Smith

https://www.alstom.com/press-releases-n ... ce-bangkok
Alstom’s automated Innovia monorail system enters service in Bangkok

-The 30.4 km Yellow Line has 23 stations along the heavily congested Lat Phrao and Srinagarindra road corridors.
-It is planned to link with six other rail lines in the middle north-eastern and eastern areas of Bangkok.
-The driverless monorail system will be able to operate at speeds of up to 80 km/h and carry a maximum of over 200,000 passengers per day.

20 June 2023 – Alstom, global leader in smart and sustainable mobility, announces the entry into passenger service of the MRT Yellow Line in Bangkok. The Eastern Bangkok Monorail Company Limited, operators of the Yellow Line, awarded Alstom the contract to supply the turnkey Innovia monorail system in 2017. Bangkok’s first driverless urban line features 30 four-car monorail train sets, fully-automated train control and integrated wayside railway systems. Alstom is also delivering the system for the MRT Pink Line, expected to enter service in 2024.
 #1624555  by David Benton

when i read monorail and 80km/h , i think whats the point? are they easier to automate ?Maybe been unable to easily switch tracks makes them safer , but every commuter monorail has ended up been a white elephant.
 #1624915  by Allen Hazen

David Benton--
One possibility that occurs is... cheaper right-of-way acquisition? (Build over existing congestion rather than plough a way through it.)
When you say "every commuter monorail has ended up being a white elephant," does that include Wuppertal? (Genuine e question-- I'm not being snarky.)
 #1624919  by David Benton

Allen, I believe Bangkok already has elevated light rail. Perhaps they can do a longer span with a monorail, or the cost of the span is incorporated into the monorail
The Wuppertal has been around a long time, so I guess including that in the white elephant category is a bit harsh. But I don't think it has ever been extended, or copied.