• questions; cumberland, me

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by nygiants21

i have a few questions for people who have any knowledge of the GRS line that goes through cumberland, maine:

1. do any of the grade crossings have gates? and if not, are there any plans to gate them? i thought i heard of the greely road crossing getting new signals, but i must have heard wrong. the most likely place that there would be gates is the Route 9 (Main Street) crossing, since i haven't been there in a while.

2. on select photos on photos.nerail.org, there are names like: "District 1 fast freight PORU Extra 340" and "POSD Extra 315 East" and "BKPO Extra 330 West." do these trains run on some sort of schedule? if anyone has any information on this, that'd be really great.
  by wolfmom69

As Operation Lifesaver says,"Anytime is Train Time!"-and that about sums up Guilford. Just when you think you know "the schedule" of the freights,locomotive shortages,and "canned crews",will prove you wrong. By the way,SLR(SL&A) is down to a train a week,or "as needed,Danville to E.Deering. the only active customer is B&M Baked Beans(covered hoppers of raw beans) at the end of the line,with Hancock Lumber in Yarmouth, a regular consignee of boxcars of lumber products. Over a 50 mile round trip,for basically 1 customer,but yet,SLR keeps the line "maintained" for 25 mph track speed in most spots. Bud

by bwparker1

Bid,

It is too bad the the SLR Cement business dried up for E. Deering.

Any news on the Libra Foundation wanting to run commuter service to Pineland?

Brooks