• Newark Airport (EWR) service improvement idea

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Tom V

When Amtrak was operating the Clockers NJ Transit monthly pass riders had access to those trains, the State of New Jersey subsidized the fares IIRC. Why not have the State or the Port Authority (or both) work with Amtrak to offer similar cooperation with regards to service to/from Newark Airport. The Port Authority could subsidize the fares so travelers to/from Newark airport can board the first train available. Right now Amtrak offers 10 trains between Newark Airport and NY Penn, they could coordinate their schedules with NJ Transit so that they can help fill some of the service gaps that exist at Newark Airport. One of the biggest complaints about the service is that at times trains arrive within two minutes of each other, and at other times it can be over 45 minute wait for a train. Ideally airport travelers would not wait more than 15 minutes for a train to Manhattan from Newark airport. An airport traveler could buy a single ticket from a ticket vending machine at the airport and board the first train that they see , whether it's Amtrak or NJ Transit, for NY Penn. Same with the trip from NY Penn to Newark airport, put dedicated "EWR Airtrain" ticket machines at NY Penn so travelers purchase one ticket for one price that is valid for the next train to EWR (whether it's Amtrak or NJ Transit).

They could expand the program to include service to/from Trenton, Princeton Jct, New Brunswick, Metropark and Newark airport.
  by Amtrak7

The idea of cross-honoring NJT tickets on Amtrak to the airport and vice versa is a good one. (think Metrolink, Amtrak, and Bob Hope Airport)

Doing this for the other NEC stations is not a good idea, it would deprive Amtrak of revenue or cost NJT too much.
  by 25Hz

I've seen people at the air link station have a train pull in, they can't board because they have ticket for the other service many times, often large groups.
  by Jtgshu

I know it seems like it sometimes, but believe it or not, the NEC is not a subway with expected subway frequencies for stations. :P

Amtrak would NEVER go for that, EWR passengers add to the dwell time significantly, and often an Amtrak trian in the station longer than an NJT train on an adjacent track. The NJT train is in and out, while the Amtrak is still loading and unloading. No center doors doesn't help, and all those folks crowded in the vestibules are going to signifcantly add to the Amtrak dwell times at Newark Penn and NYP, not to mention totally disturb the other Amtrak passengers who are sitting there minding their own business and then at times hundreds of passengers with all their luggage (including the kitchen sinks....) come piling in the train.

Id rather see more NJT locals, like Rahway rockets during the week instead of just on the weekends, and run most of the day. It wasn't that long ago that it was only hourly service on the NEC. Now its roughly half hourly for a huge part of the operating day. Hopefully when the economy rebounds and money isn't so tight, there will be increased service to EWR and other places in off peak times.
  by Steampowered

I always thought a EWR-NY penn dedicated train would be a good idea. I remenber one holiday weekend last year, the train was packed with people already standing, then we got to newark airport and people were bringing luggage on and more people , i think conducted should have just passed by. It might not be a bad idea to make it a HOB-EWR-NYP route.
  by michaelk

Steampowered wrote:I always thought a EWR-NY penn dedicated train would be a good idea. I remenber one holiday weekend last year, the train was packed with people already standing, then we got to newark airport and people were bringing luggage on and more people , i think conducted should have just passed by. It might not be a bad idea to make it a HOB-EWR-NYP route.
Not a bad idea but with only the 2 current tunnels there's no room to add. So which train into nyp do you cancel to make a free slot? The at capacity tunnels are kind of a buzz kill for any new service.
  by PhillyLlama

Don't Post here much... but EWR-NEWARK PENN-Hoboken Shuttle train, make them the Port authority's problem to get them under the Hudson and into Manhattan :)
  by Jtgshu

The tunnels aren't at capacity at all hours of the day - during off peak there is capacity in the tunnels and a rahway local could easily be added. During peak periods, having more trains stop there is really the only way to get more service, as THEN the tunnels and more importantly, NYPenn, are at capacity.
  by Tom V

Also with regards to the airport their traffic flows are different than commuter flows, for example in the early morning the traffic at the airport is mostly outbound. So more trains from NY Penn to EWR would be required.
  by JCGUY

With the huge vacant piece of land directly between the EWR station and 1/9/22/ I-78, that area would seem to be an excellent spot for a park and ride station, particulalrly if PATH could be extended to the airport station. Dedicated ramps could flow right into the lot. The idea that center city Newark is being used as a park and ride is a pretty poor use of downtown space, not to mention that downtown Newark is a very difficult place to get to by car. Getting to the Harrison area is a bit easier, but requires vehicles from the west to cross the Stickle Bridge. A couple thousand vehicle park and ride would add some ballast to ridership numbers for the stations, and the NEC station -- unlike Newark -- has ample platforms for mass boardings. It would also make an excellent spot for a bus connection. I suppose you'd want to limit the lot to monthly or at least weekly parkers so as to avoid people using it as airport parking.
  by Jtgshu

JCGUY wrote:With the huge vacant piece of land directly between the EWR station and 1/9/22/ I-78, that area would seem to be an excellent spot for a park and ride station, particulalrly if PATH could be extended to the airport station. Dedicated ramps could flow right into the lot. The idea that center city Newark is being used as a park and ride is a pretty poor use of downtown space, not to mention that downtown Newark is a very difficult place to get to by car. Getting to the Harrison area is a bit easier, but requires vehicles from the west to cross the Stickle Bridge. A couple thousand vehicle park and ride would add some ballast to ridership numbers for the stations, and the NEC station -- unlike Newark -- has ample platforms for mass boardings. It would also make an excellent spot for a bus connection. I suppose you'd want to limit the lot to monthly or at least weekly parkers so as to avoid people using it as airport parking.
It is an absolutely fabulous location for a park and ride, but gotta think about this............

Why would the Port Authority want people to park their cars there, and get on a train for a short ride to NY instead of driving, and paying the newly increased tolls, and maybe parking at the Port Authority Bus Terminal?

Of course they could recoup some money from parking fees (which im sure would be pretty high) but id imagine they would make more cash if those folks stayed in their cars and paid the tolls. Remember, EWR is a PA owned station. PA even paid for the track improvements when the station was installed (which is why nearly ALL NJT trains run down track A and 5, even when running late and running straight can save a good 3-4 minutes...). Although with the backlash with these new tolls, and the coming Turnpike and GSP increase, maybe they will start to think differently.

IMO of course.... :)
  by JCGUY

I think it makes sense to provide a better parking intercept for the Newark area than downtown Newark itself. This idea would also give a park and ride option to many people in Union County currenty frozen out of the inadequate lots at their station, particularly if the economy ever gets going again and commuter traffic rises. The Secaucus intercept is in a nice spot for Bergen County, Metropark is a so-so option for Middlesex, and then this would help with Union/Essex. I doubt it would do much to reduce tunnel trips, however. If you were willing to go through that special circle of hell and expense, you likely have a very good reason for doing so.
  by 25Hz

I honestly don't think extending PATH is a great idea. It looks good on a map, but when you see the actual stations, they mostly suck for people with luggage of any kind. Add to that crush loaded packed trains 2 big chunks of the weekday, and you can forget trying to fit any kind of luggage. They also have turnstiles, which would have to be changed to the side sliding type to accommodate the rolling bags. Then there's the reality that it was all ready extended to newark penn from manhattan transfer, and you'd have to build a new right of way, probably elevated to get there. How would you deal with peak hours & turning trains, how would it affect that 3-5 minute interval with so much length and a new station added?

What i think might work is as others have said... a few more trains stopping there per day, cutting down that longer wait time. Since the station sees coast line, jersey ave, and trenton-nyp trains, any one of those service patterns could be altered to stop more at the airport where practical. The air link station has 6 tracks, 2 which go through and 4 which have a platform. I'm sure someone could figure out how best to land more trains there with not too much disruption in the daily shuffle of equipment. Am i wrong?
  by Adirondacker

PhillyLlama wrote:Don't Post here much... but EWR-NEWARK PENN-Hoboken Shuttle train, make them the Port authority's problem to get them under the Hudson and into Manhattan :)
It could be the Port Authority's problem at Newark and in Newark the PATH trains are right across the platform. No walk to the headhouse and no stairs to negotiate. NJTransit's trip planner has Newark-Hoboken at 21-22 minutes. PATH from Newark to WTC takes 22. Changing at Newark might even be faster for trips on the Uptown line.
JCGUY wrote: the NEC station -- unlike Newark -- has ample platforms for mass boardings. It would also make an excellent spot for a bus connection. I suppose you'd want to limit the lot to monthly or at least weekly parkers so as to avoid people using it as airport parking.
When did they make the aircraft carrier deck-like platforms in Penn Station Newark smaller?
Easiest and most effective way to stop people from using the lot for long term parking is to ban long term parking, If the car is there more than 24 hours it gets towed. Or max for the day is lets say $10, park for two days it's 30, park for three days it's 50.
  by ThirdRail7

It was my understanding that when EWR was proposed, NJT was supposed to support it with 24 hour service. However, I remember Amtrak complaining about slots for their track work (which is actually a valid point.)

I do think they have plenty of room for additional service to and from EWR. When Warrington foisted the multitude of trains on the corridor, he cited service to and from EWR and SEC as the reason. A large number of the PJC express trains bypass EWR.

Additionally, the reverse 7200 Rahway locals could be utilized on weekends. Currently, they leave NYP, operate to Rahway and turn at Union. From there, the operate express from Union to Secaucus and pick up passengers for NYP.

Why can't they stop at EWR and NWK? There's definitely enough room in the schedule. They tend to sit in Secaucus for a significant period of time. Sometimes, they sit so long , they have to be booted out under rule 92. :)