• ALP-45DP's - Usage and Delivery

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Sirsonic

Him, perhaps I should take a crack at this...
The North Runner, which is a yard track in the MMC, connects to the Morristown Line (M&E) at Sanfords. At Meadows, which is just west of Sanfords, the Morristown Line Single Track (aka the Waterfront Connection) diverges from the south side of track 2 and runs up a hill along the western end of the MMC. There is a hand operated switch on the Single Track to the North Runner. The Single Track runs west to Cape interlocking. At Cape, the M&E Single Track connects to the Hudson Line. West of Cape, the Hudson Line continues to Hudson on Amtrak. At Cape a single track diverges to the south. There is a power switch in that single track farther to the east and two tracks enter the MMC. To the north is the Coach Lead, and to the south is the S&I Lead. Running along side the S&I lead is the Conrail Center Street Industrial (aka Center Street Branch or Center Street Running Track). There is a crossover from the Center St Branch to the S&I Lead for eastward moves within the interlocking at Cape. East of Cape, the Center Street Branch runs up to a connection to Conrail east of their CP-Karny. West of Cape, the Center Street Branch drops down a hill and passes under Amtrak, alongside the westward PATH track. Just under the Amtrak bridge is a westward crossover from the Center St Branch to the Morristown Line at Kearny Jct that is part of Kearny Jct interlocking. West of Kearny Jct, the Center St Branch continues into Harrison where Conrail has, I believe, one customer. CSX, via Conrail, also interchanges with the M&E Railway west of Kearny Jct on the Center St Branch.
  by Silverliner II

Thanks! Now I understand...and here all this time I thought that single track was the Hudson Line all the way to MEADOWS....
  by ApproachMedium

There you go folks your daily qualifying sesson with sirsonic. LETP students take not youll have to recite these kind of things to pass the tests.
  by nick11a

Seems like these horns will have more potential to push sound forward having a bit of backing behind it.
  by 25Hz

I bet the bit behind the horns gets splattered black by bugs in first few months of warm weather operation.
  by twropr

I recently saw a bulletin order listing the HP for the new ALP-45 as 4200 (diesel mode) and 5360 (straight electric) with maximum speed of 90 MPH.
My question - besides 4500 and 4501, are any others on the property yet? Is 4500 the only one that is running tests?

Andy
  by ApproachMedium

The max operating speed of 90 is probably the same thing they did when the Multis were first delivered. 90mph was the speed limit until they were proven x amount of miles and so many cars over the road.
  by Jtgshu

They make cars and locos 90 for a certain period of time and then they generally get upped to 100mph (usually about a year)

Also, 90mph is usually the max speed for equipment outside of its "normal" territory - so for example, for NJT equipment going down to Washington on a Thanksgiving Extra, a ML set or Comet 5 set (I don't remember if Comet 2s/4s are allowed 100 or 90) they could only go 90mph.

The MN Comet 5s are only allowed 90mph on the NEC (even where the NJT Comet 5s are allowed 100) as well for whatever reason
  by jlr3266

Would I be crazy to ask why 90 as opposed to 85, 95, 100?
  by ns3010

While we're on the topic of speeds, I saw that MARC's new Multilevels (which are an add-on to NJT's order for this upcoming summer) will be certified for 125 mph, leading me to think that NJT's will be as well. I believe that the 45's are built for 125 also, so could higher speed trains on the Corridor be in the near future? Even I'm wrong and the 45's aren't built for 125, the 46A's are, so could we see 125 mph operation once some more testing and a recertification are completed?
  by ChrisU

ns3010 wrote:While we're on the topic of speeds, I saw that MARC's new Multilevels (which are an add-on to NJT's order for this upcoming summer) will be certified for 125 mph, leading me to think that NJT's will be as well. I believe that the 45's are built for 125 also, so could higher speed trains on the Corridor be in the near future? Even I'm wrong and the 45's aren't built for 125, the 46A's are, so could we see 125 mph operation once some more testing and a recertification are completed?
I thought these new multileves were going to be the same and the first one is supposed to arrive this summer?
  by Jtgshu

As far as I know, this was/is the plan.....

The ALP46A's are built from the factory for 125mph
The MLs are built for 100mph, but are supposed to be upgraded to 125mph (haven't been yet)
The ML2s (are they even being built? I thought the order was cancelled.....or in limbo at least) are supposed to be 125mph from the factory
The ALP45DP are supposed to be good for 125 when in electric mode, and 100 when in diesel mode
The ALP46 (originals) are supposed to be upgraded to 125mph when they go for a mid life rebuild in the coming years (but we all know what happened to the ALP44s are their mid life rebuilds.........so who knows)
  by sixty-six

Jtgshu wrote:As far as I know, this was/is the plan.....

The ALP46A's are built from the factory for 125mph
The MLs are built for 100mph, but are supposed to be upgraded to 125mph (haven't been yet)
The ML2s (are they even being built? I thought the order was cancelled.....or in limbo at least) are supposed to be 125mph from the factory
The ALP45DP are supposed to be good for 125 when in electric mode, and 100 when in diesel mode
The ALP46 (originals) are supposed to be upgraded to 125mph when they go for a mid life rebuild in the coming years (but we all know what happened to the ALP44s are their mid life rebuilds.........so who knows)
From what I've heard, 125mph for any piece of equipment is never going to happen.