• Lackawanna Cutoff Passenger Service Restoration

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by TSTOM

Re: Delaware River Viaduct

May be 9-10 years ago now but someone ( NJDOT ? PADOT ? ) got up there and cleared the deck of the small bushes, small trees and weeds that Mother Nature had grown for 30 years.
  by ns3010

David wrote:Anybody go by here lately??
I'll likely be passing by the work area at some point this weekend (either Saturday morning or Sunday evening). In the event that I do, I'll post if there's any activity.
waldwickrailfan wrote:i passed by the Delaware River Viaduct on both Friday Night and Sunday Morning. friday you could only see the arch above the I-80 arch. sunday i saw the whole thing, and although it looked really, really nice, still no work on it, and yes i do understand that no work is scheduled for the viaduct, but still a notable observation.
Considering that the Delaware River viaduct is not included in the scope of the current phase of the project, there would be absolutely no reason for work to take place on it (other than regular maintenance to prevent it from toppling into the river). Maybe, we'll see some noteworthy activity in the next few decades... :-)
  by cruiser939

ns3010 wrote:
waldwickrailfan wrote:i passed by the Delaware River Viaduct on both Friday Night and Sunday Morning. friday you could only see the arch above the I-80 arch. sunday i saw the whole thing, and although it looked really, really nice, still no work on it, and yes i do understand that no work is scheduled for the viaduct, but still a notable observation.
Considering that the Delaware River viaduct is not included in the scope of the current phase of the project, there would be absolutely no reason for work to take place on it (other than regular maintenance to prevent it from toppling into the river). Maybe, we'll see some noteworthy activity in the next few decades... :-)
Did you really read what waldwick wrote? He knows that nothing is supposed to be going on there. He was just attempting (notice I said attempting) to be cute.
  by nyswfan

waldwickrailfan wrote:
i passed by the Delaware River Viaduct on both Friday Night and Sunday Morning. friday you could only see the arch above the I-80 arch. sunday i saw the whole thing, and although it looked really, really nice, still no work on it, and yes i do understand that no work is scheduled for the viaduct, but still a notable observation.
Also noteworthy, I was in Scranton last weekend and the Lackawanna Raddisson is still a Raddisson. No work has started converting it back to a train station.
  by Uzi-Cat

Also noteworthy, I was in my backyard and I have mushrooms growing in my grass.
  by waldwickrailfan

cruiser939 wrote:
ns3010 wrote:
Did you really read what waldwick wrote? He knows that nothing is supposed to be going on there. He was just attempting (notice I said attempting) to be cute.
i wasnt attempting to be cute, i was just making an observation. but thanks for the compliment
  by cruiser939

I passed by the local A&P earlier this week and I realized that I still like cheese.
  by ns3010

cruiser939 wrote:
ns3010 wrote:
Yes, I did read what he wrote. I was just attempting to be nice.

:-)

On a different note, I didn't pass by today, but I probably will tomorrow. I'll keep you guys updated if I see anything.
  by Hawaiitiki

nyswfan wrote:
waldwickrailfan wrote:
i passed by the Delaware River Viaduct on both Friday Night and Sunday Morning. friday you could only see the arch above the I-80 arch. sunday i saw the whole thing, and although it looked really, really nice, still no work on it, and yes i do understand that no work is scheduled for the viaduct, but still a notable observation.
Also noteworthy, I was in Scranton last weekend and the Lackawanna Raddisson is still a Raddisson. No work has started converting it back to a train station.
I haven't read anything about converting the old station back into a station, even when the project is completed wayy down the road. I dont know where to find the .PDF file, but I'm pretty sure the new Scranton Station will be slightly before or after the old station, ala Port Jervis.
  by blockline4180

Uzi-Cat wrote:Also noteworthy, I was in my backyard and I have mushrooms growing in my grass.
Post of the year!!!
  by 25Hz

Hawaiitiki wrote:http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/Lackawanna ... t%20EA.pdf

Page 36. The new Scranton station will be built slightly West(railroad) of the old Scranton Station.
It looks like they are going with new stations and buildings vs re-use of any existing. I think this is a good idea, as it allows modern facilities and spare use of any remaining structures with historic value as to save them for future generations.
  by Jeff Smith

blockline4180 wrote:
Uzi-Cat wrote:Also noteworthy, I was in my backyard and I have mushrooms growing in my grass.
Post of the year!!!
I second that! Are those "special" mushrooms? Can we get them with cheese? I love cheese.
  by ns3010

In terms of work, nothing has changed in the vicinity of Brooklyn-Stanhope Road. There were however, numerous trees down across the ROW, and that was only in the lengths visible while driving by. There were also tree workers climbing the embankment of the west leg of the wye at UN. They were checking for trees that would potentially fall onto the wires above Center Street.