• surroundtraxx - the end of the sound decoder?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by JonnyRay

Does anyone have any experience with surroundtraxx? I think the thing I hate the most in model railroading is installing sound decoders and having to pay for it gets expensive with a large fleet. So here's my theory. I understand surroundtraxx can be setup as a standalone sound system without block detection. My train room is only 24' x 12' so it would be far easier to wire the room with a surround sound system which would fill the room with sound. The specs say surroundtraxx can play up to six independant channels. I saw a video with a steam and diesel engine together and it sounds good. My hope is with my currunt fleet and any future purchases, ll I would need is the small plug and play decoders and never have to worry about speakers. I also hope this is a quality product and wont burn out after 5 years of operating sessions. Please support or debunk my theory. I don't care, I just want too know what everyone else thinks.
  by lexon

Until some start using the system, all you will get are opinions and judgments. There are different strokes for different folks.
I prefer the point source of sound in the loco, ok at least the tender.
Many do not want sound as I have seen many times. It is usually too loud and too distracting. Kind of like a Harley going by a car only show.
Bottom line, we are boys playing with toys.

Rich
  by 262

I use an MRC sound system that I have miked to an amplifier.It gives good range and is adjustible easlily.The only advantage I could see to locomotive sound decoders is true doppler effect.The small speakers that are used in the locomotives I have seen do not produce the low end rumble that makes the experience real for me.If the surroundtraxx can reproduce doppler effect,demmenishing volume when the locomotive moves away from the listener,sqeaks,clacks and flat wheel sounds as the cars pass by I want one.