• SEPTA Turbo and Bouquet Day Passes: Some tips for use

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by MACTRAXX

SEPTA BOUQUET PASSES and TURBO PASSES-Some things you should know about these passes are: During the time of the Auto show (FEB.5 to 13th) and the Flower Show (March 6 to 13th) SEPTA sells an almost UNLIMITED use day pass for the days in this period. There are pratfalls all users should watch and beware of: The listed restrictions are it is NOT VALID on AM PEAK trains (To Phila.) and all TRENTON travel. IF YOU BUY ONE PLEASE NOTE: Some conductors on regional rail think that these passes are NOT unlimited and are valid for only one RT. I had an disagreement with a conductor on train#4664 - leaving WIL at 550pm. At first this conductor would not accept this pass as fare - I insisted that this was a UNLIMITED pass than he asked 'Where does it say that?' I read the first paragraph on the back 'Valid for unlimited travel on any regularly-scheduled SEPTA service as determined by first use' than he said that someone might have left it behind and I picked it up-in reply I said 'Would you like to see the reciept for this pass?' and he declined. I had a problem earlier in the day at the 15th street cashier booth on the MFSE- the cashier would not let me on with the pass-insisting 'this is only for regional rail only' I insisted after pleading my case and she finally let me thru. All this was today-Feb.7th. Other than that,things were OK. When I have one of these passes,I shy away from the subway because of problems like this. I like riding transit and I think that SEPTA gives a good deal with these passes- BUT BEWARE of potential problems such as: Cashiers and agents that refuse to sell you this pass or as only part of a package auto/flower admission - These are TOTALLY SEPARATE. GET A RECIEPT when you buy-so no one can accuse you of picking up a used pass-especially to Phila.later in the day - Make sure that the CORRECT day is punched on the pass-a mistake can render it USELESS! and be prepared to explain the pass to SEPTA personnel - some rarely see them. IN MY OPINION SEPTA SHOULD LET ALL KNOW WHO HANDLES THESE PASSES HOW THEY ARE TO BE ACCEPTED AS FARE. I have used these passes during these periods in the last couple of years and W/O fail I have had problems one way or another with some SEPTA employe. IT SHOULD NOT BE!!! SEPTA needs to be consistent with its info regarding them so occasional riders do not have problems. I am somewhat transit-savvy but what about someone who is not? these are the type of things that make riders not want to use SEPTA - in my opinion it needs all the help it can get - THANKS ALOT TO ALL - SORRY IF I RANTED ON TOO MUCH - MACTRAXX
  by chuchubob

Is it written on the pass that it's not valid for Trenton travel? That's not mintioned on SEPTA's website.

In addition, SEPTA is offering the Turbo Pass for automobile enthusiasts to travel to the Auto Show using SEPTA. The Turbo Pass provides unlimited travel on buses, trolleys, subways, and trains for one day during the Auto Show for just $8. (not valid on Regional Rail trains arriving in Center City prior to 9:30 a.m.) Turbo Passes can be used any day of the show.

http://www.septa.org/news/metro/metro_012805.html

by MACTRAXX

Chuchubob: The pass itself notes this. Since they are sold at Levittown,they are not valid between Levittown and Trenton. What was said to you makes my point-Why can't SEPTA be consistent in its policy regarding these passes? MACTRAXX

by R3 Rider

Isn't that the same as a regular DayPass, though? I thought the DayPasses weren't good in Zone 6.

by MACTRAXX

R3: These passes are NOT the same as a regular Day Pass. What they are is one day ANYWHERE passes - but are not valid between Levittown and Trenton at all times and all AM PEAK travel to Phila. They are much better as on a regular DP you would get only one RRD ride. On transit other than RRD,They are basically valid for the same services. MACTRAXX

by JeffK

MACTRAXX - sad to say, your experience is not unusual. SEPTA often does a lousy job of informing drivers about fares, and it's made worse by the number of options, conditions, exceptions, special cases, and just plain "gotchas" built into their obscenely complicated fare system.

But IMO, yes, they really oughta do a better job with something that's going to be used by a lot of visitors. Unfortunately I get the impression that some employees instead consider tourists and other first-time users to be fair game (or is that "a fare game"? :wink: ) for any kind of hassling they can think up. I once tried to get the Visitors' Bureau to look at some of the damage being done to the city's image by these shenanigans but, this being Philadelphia, they said they really weren't interested.

One promotion that did work well was held about 5 years ago when there were special coupons given out that each were good for a free weekend ride. You were allowed two per day so you could make round trips. I went in from Norristown both days and didn't see any problems with operators not recognizing the coupons or giving people a hard time over how they were obtained. That promotion proves SEPTA can do it right if it wants to.

by Matthew Mitchell

We can hear you fine, Mac, you don't need to YELL.

To answer your question, yes, Revenue Operations does send out notices to all operating personnel (i.e. cashiers, operators, conductors) when a special fare instrument is going to be offered. The notices include a reproduction of the front and back, an explanation of what travel is and isn't permitted, and instructions for validating the pass.

Since the Bouquet Pass has been offered for years, and the Auto Show pass almost as long, plus the similar passes that have been offered for things like the Republican National Convention and the women's basketball tournament, you would think the employees would understand them by now.

That said, there has been a faction within SEPTA, though I don't think it reaches down to the operating level, that doesn't like the DayPass, and helped sink its original incarnation in 1987. Fear it would be used for fare evasion was one of the reasons they cited for trying to kill it, and perhaps some of those arguments were what inspired the conductor to question the validity of your pass. That said, barring his actually seeing you transfer the pass, he had no justification for demanding a receipt.

I've used the regular DayPass a number of times the last coupla years, and aside from a little grumbling from a bus operator who missed a green light while sticking the pass onto a dated transfer, I haven't had any problems at all.

by MACTRAXX

MATT: I have used Day Passes in the past and I have never had a problem with them. On the other hand,using these special passes...They are a good deal for the price but are they worth the hassle that can happen? It seems to me that inconsistency is the norm at SEPTA. MACTRAXX

by yutzk

I'll be riding the R5 down to the auto show saturday, ill report back if i see any problems or anything of that sort with these turbo passes.