• Walthers' yearly name trains...

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

NJTRailfan wrote:So when do you think we will hear the next trainset pick? I hope to see the Phoebe Snow in both Lackawanna and/or EL colors. But if they really want to dazzle us they can do the first steam loco set and do the CNJ Blue Comet.
You said the exact freakin' same thing last year. You are starting to sound like a broken record!

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... ay#p822931
NJTRailfan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:24 pm
I think I'll be lucky if I can afford a few of those cares an one loco out of the whole collection. I'm hoping that the following year Walthers will do the Phoebe Snow or shock us all and do the CNJ Blue Comet. This would be their first steam loco set if they did the latter.

Does anyone know if they'll add a GG-1 to this or not?
Walthers is not going to produce the Phoebe Snow or the Blue Comet! Those trains serve too small a region to have a broad enough appeal to meet sales projections to make production worthwhile. Man, now I'm starting to sound like a broken record!

-otto-
  by Otto Vondrak

Dieter wrote:I'd like to see the Phoebe Snow too, but I don't think that will be likely before we see;

The North Coast Limited

The City Of New Orleans

The Southern Crescent
Most likely yes.
Burlington Zephyr
Hmm? The articulated Zephyr has already been produced by Con-Cor.

http://www.con-cor.com/HO-1948-Burlingt ... Train.html

Did you mean the California Zephyr, maybe? I know those cars have been produced in brass ten fold over.
Seeing the bias from the manufacturer towards their home region, my money is on The North Coast Limited next.
Huh? The NYC Twentieth Century Limited? The PRR Broadway Limited? Did you forget those already?
  by Desertdweller

The best suggestion I have seen here is the 1956 CB&Q Denver Zephyr. The only special cars they would need to tool up would be the dome/dorm/coffee shop, and the dome/parlor/obs. If they wanted to bring out a special car as an add-on later, a Budd NP Slumbercoach, which did operate in this train.

They already have the E-units for it.

Of course, we are talking HO.

If they want to do something really different, how about a C&S/FWD Texas Zephyr. A mix of streamlined and modernized heavyweight equipment. Pick an early enough version and it would contain some articulated car units as well.

Although FWD and CB&Q E-units were used on this train on occasion, it generally used C&S E-5's in AB configuration. E5's (or any slant-nosed E's) would be a departure for Walthers, but could use their current E-unit mechanisms. It would be less of a stretch than Erie-builts would be.

Les