• How to buy train stuff at auction.

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by keeper

Hi, I need some quick help. An auction tonight has many many HO engines, cars, track, and other pieces.All look to be in excellent shape. I need someone that I can send several pics to, to let you see if anything is worth getting. You would also get first chance at them if you want. Thanks, Rick email me at [email protected]

PS. I will have to leave at 4:00 central time.
  by Mirai Zikasu

I hate to break it to you, but it looks like all the model railroad stuff in that auction is N scale. I see Rapido Couplers everywhere and what looks like a pack of N scale track in one shot.
  by keeper

Hey thanks for the info. I just thought it was HO. I don't know all the sizes. Did you see anything worth trying for?
  by keeper

I was wrong on the auction it is Monday night. See any treasures there??
  by umtrr-author

In the opinion of this 40+ year model railroader and N Scale historian of sorts...

No treasures. Very common late 1960s and 1970s N Scale items from the usual brand names at the time. The Atlas/Rivarossi passenger cars are about the most interesting lot. Many items not complete, or the parts may be scattered around in the box. With the exception of the passenger cars, I would not personally bid more than $10 for any of the lots, and maybe not even that. Track looks like a throwaway.

Sad to say, it's probably from someone's estate, but gotta call 'em like you see them. I hope that the trains were enjoyed back in the day.