• Southern Tier - East of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by K4Pacific

Roger that shared assets. I know this is off this thread topic, but it all interelates (is that a word?) hence - network. Just yesterday one engineer was expected to be called for the usual 4am run south so he woke up at 2am and never got called until noon. One tired pup that has seniority and is Operation Lifesaver teacher in the Southern Tier. Here in Elmira/Corning it's adversity with enthusiasm.

I do have confirmation that the east end operation will occur from planning. They're just trying to wrap their arms around the traffic surge. Not a nice problem to have at this moment.

Again thank you CR shared assets.

Also, please let me know when 99/100 go daily.
  by SecaucusJunction

I can't see 99/100 going daily any time soon. Personally, I think we're lucky to see them 3x per week. Yes, there have been times when they have had car counts of 90+ in the past couple months, but there have been plenty more times when the car counts were between 25-40 cars. Unless another large customer comes on board or they really get more unforeseen traffic thrown their way by CSX, it won't happen. I believe CSX has taken back some of the grain traffic they had previously given during their early year traffic meltdown in NY state.

Didn't someone mention new customers that were supposed to come online east of Binghamton? Is that still in the plans?
  by conrailsharedassets

Not a problem K4. I have been hearing so many grumblings about the Southern Tier and D&H I'm starting to have trouble keeping things straight. There is word going around that train reroutes maybe taking place at some point in the future. Of course nobody knows from where to where! My assumption would be that more traffic would be getting put on the tier on D&H, with the infastructure preparations being planned/completed on both lines. NS has opened up hiring out of Binghamton yet again for the D&H operations as well. Should be interesting to see how everything ties together here in the next couple years.

Jim Cerulli
  by century430

Might the interest in SU99/100 going daily be a sign of NS trying to qualify crew on the Tier East?

JIm Rowland
  by northjerseybuff

are they going 5 days a week??
  by blockline4180

Why does everyone keep thinking the SU100/99 is going back to 5 days week?????? Where is the traffic that warrants that???
There are days when the SU99 only leaves with between 15-35 cars, so I don't understand the need for a 5 day a week operation! Ugh Hello??????
  by century430

Sorry if I misspoke. I don't think they're going daily. My thought was if they went daily, would that be so NS could qualify crews over the Tier east of Binghamton?

Jim Rowland
  by K4Pacific

Easy blockline. East with the beast. Again, let me know when they go daily. Check out a NS Locomotive engineer blog out of Binghamton. The Wayward Home: Working On Commission
the-1-wayward-son.blogspot.com
  by blockline4180

K4Pacific wrote:Easy blockline. East with the beast. Again, let me know when they go daily. Check out a NS Locomotive engineer blog out of Binghamton. The Wayward Home: Working On Commission
the-1-wayward-son.blogspot.com

Thanks, will do Brother K4!!
  by SecaucusJunction

This whole thing seems like a riddle to me. K4, are you saying there is some sort of correlation between NS and the SU99/100? I did notice you always say when they go daily and not if... interesting...
  by K4Pacific

http://the-1-wayward-son.blogspot.com for a correct link.

Really, though, blockline - keep your ear to the rail.
  by blockline4180

K4Pacific wrote:
Really, though, blockline - keep your ear to the rail.

Hmmm, don't you think that might be kind of dangerous??? Also, I don't want to run the risk of getting detained by the NYSW or NS police for this action!!
  by dtravisjr

Just a quick but interesting observation from Memorial day..There's 3 NS gons sitting by the Frito lay plant in Kirkwood and they look (hard to tell when driving) to be loaded with new ties. I've noticed in years past that when NYSW gets ties, they've come in CSX gons. Could just be getting them from a different supplier too, I suppose.

Dave
  by SecaucusJunction

Interesting... if they are doing the work so NS can run over the line, maybe NS is cutting them a break on the price of ties. If anyone has an update on a schedule of track work east of Binghamton, please let us know. If they are starting this early in the season, that could bode well for the line this year.
  by markyk

Interesting read yesterday regarding CSX looking for East Coast Ports to export Coal. Supposedly CSX and NS can't ship it out fast enough to meet worldwide demand right now.....One of the Ports is Fairless Hills PA, which will start exporting this summer, and I think NS already goes to Fairless Hills..

http://www.steelguru.com/raw_material_n ... 07431.html

Just wondering if NY/NJ Port Authority could convert/fit an existing section of Current Port space in Northen NJ to export Coal, and could this be what the future is for the East End.....

I could also see Garbage and or Ethanol as other commodities destined for the tier to alleviate potential future congestion. Once Mechanicsville is operational, I imagine we will see an influx of intermodal on the NS routes in PA. Also I'm not sure when more NYC Garbage will start moving out of Jersey City by rail. Just speculation but stuff to chew on while we wait to see what the future holds.