• New Kato MP36PH & Nippon-Sharyo Bi-Levels!!

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by B44NYC

More good news for commuter modellers.
Just breezed through Kato's upcoming projects and they are releasing a Metra MP36PH & matching Nippon Sharyo bi-level passenger cars in N scale.
No pictures are up yet.
  by Amtrak207

Anyone else bummed out by the fact this is not in HO Scale??? I am sure N scalers are happy, as they should be, but some HO scale versions would be nice! Or does Kato think Walthers will produce them?

There was talk about these cars being produced by Walthers in HO scale, but nothing ever came about. If they did (or Kato), I might seriously consider changing my modeling location to accurately model the sound end of Chicago Union Station for Amtrak and Metra past the 21st street bridge.

A few Athearn Genesis F40PH's in Metra would fit the bill nicely as well.

Okay, I think I have wished enough this year! Kato sure seems to be taking over Walthers' reign on modern Amtrak and commuter equipment :/

-Tom
  by mlrr

Amtrak207 wrote:Anyone else bummed out by the fact this is not in HO Scale??? I am sure N scalers are happy, as they should be, but some HO scale versions would be nice! Or does Kato think Walthers will produce them?

There was talk about these cars being produced by Walthers in HO scale, but nothing ever came about. If they did (or Kato), I might seriously consider changing my modeling location to accurately model the sound end of Chicago Union Station for Amtrak and Metra past the 21st street bridge.

-Tom
I'm completely bummed by this!

I bolded that one part of your statement because would you believe, I've never seriously considered switching scales as much as I am right now! I'm hoping the Kato announcement is a "Teaser Trailer" of sorts to either a Walthers or KATO HO release.

KATO has been pretty selective as to when/if it "steps on Walthers toes" with certain products. The only other duplicate products I can think of that have been done by both firms in HO are:

Phase III Superliner I - Walthers came out with it first and then re-released it with real metal finish
C&NW Gallery Cars - They came out about the same time but Walthers beat KATO to the market (lower cost too I believe)
F40PH - Walthers was first
MHC's - Walthers was first

In all cases I think Walthers was the first to produce the HO models listed above

Let me know if I've missed anything...
  by Amtrak207

I meant to say "south end", not "sound end" ! Well we are probably in the minority Kyle as far as Metra goes. Then again Kato stepped up to the plate, we can only hope that Walthers does too. I am asking for too much now, Kato Nippon Sharyo metal-plated Walthers cars ALONG with re-tooled Amfleet I and II's, Viewliners and Heritage equipment! =O

Only time will tell, still, it never hurts to write them a nice request!

-Tom
  by mlrr

Amtrak207 wrote:I am asking for too much now, Kato Nippon Sharyo metal-plated Walthers cars ALONG with re-tooled Amfleet I and II's, Viewliners and Heritage equipment! =O

Only time will tell, still, it never hurts to write them a nice request!

-Tom
Given what the entire market consists of already (especially since there's serious overlap in the type of products offered by different manufacturers or re-issues, etc.) I don't think it's too much to ask.

I did send off a nice request to BOTH Walthers and KATO (seeing as how they already have the technical info needed to produce the model, I figure it would make sense to adjust the scale to suit HO, probably cheaper than Walthers having to do the additional R&D if there was any done on these at all)