• How about this idea:

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Mdlbigcat

How about this idea:

1]Extend The BSS up Roosevelt Blvd to Woodhaven, then turn east on Woodhaven to Franklin Mills Mall.
Stations: 9th, 5th, Rising Sun, Adams-Friends Hospital, Oxford Circle, Bustleton-Harbison, Cottman, Rhawn-Nazareth Hospital, Welsh Rd, Grant Ave, Red Lion Rd, Comly Rd, on the Blvd, then Thornton Rd, Academy Rd, and Franklin Mills on Woodhaven Rd.

2]Build a branch of the MFSE [branching off I-95 and Front St] on an el above I-95 [no Nimbys] up to the Cornwells Heights P/R [underutilized now], then turn west to Franklin Mills, meting the BSS at one huge terminal.
Stations: Penn Treaty-Aramingo, Allegheny, Bridge St, Tacony-Palmyra, Cottman, Correction Center, Torresdale, Cornwells Heights, then turn west over Woodhaven to Franklin Mills.

In both cases both extensions should be elevated. Much easier on the costs. An aesthetically pleasing el design will work wonders.

What do you think of that plan?

by Bensalem SEPTA rider

The I-95 line is a bit out of the way for the Northeast. However, it could lure some people off !-95 as long as ample parking and access is provided. As for the BSS extention, you need more stops. It may seem like it slows the train down, but if you've ever been to NYC, too many people in one tranist spot is a bad thing. Overall, the general idea of youre plan is good. personally, a better soultion is taking the existing MFL up Frankford Ave to Torresdale and build a park n ride for I-95 there. Your BSS line is good though but simply sending the 84/20 to connect to it is good enough. I say you should end it at Byberry or even Neshaminy Mall!!!!!

by jsc

I'm not quite clear on the goal of having a subway/elevated train over an interstate highway where nobody lives. If I had the option of riding the R7 into town or taking the El, The R7 would win out every time. Have you riden on those El trains during rush hour? It's nuts to butts on there as it is! I can't imagine standing on one for a long ride into town.

I think the most logical extension for the MFL would be just a few blocks to Roosevelt Bvld where it would meet up with the BSS extension as outlined in the study that has been discussed here at length in the past.

Scarce transit dollars can be better used to serve other parts of the city, methinks.

If you're going to dream about places to put transit, how about dense areas of the city that currently have poor transit? South Philly neighborhoods like point breeze and girard estate. Northwest philly like roxborogh along the ridge. Fairmount, brewerytown and Strawberry Mansion. How could these areas be served? Lotsa people live there and an awful lot of them ride transit.

by AlexC

JSC... good point about duplicating service on the R7, that's the first thing I thought too.

Since the BSS was going to go to Southhampton Rd on the Boulevard, why not just have a spur from Woodhaven to Cornwells? Or go there instead of Southhampton Rd.