• What ever happend to the PBNE?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by carajul

The Philadelphia, Bethlehem, & New England RR. What became of it when Beth Steel closed? As I understand it the PBNE was the internal switching rr of the steel plant. With the steel plant shut down what ever became of the RR? Their yard is now all storage, the control tower was boarded up and now demolished, the employee parking lot has been weeds for 10 years.
  by carajul

Oooooook. Nice web site. Looks very 1995-ish.

What is left of their operation these days? I'm sure the glory days are over.
  by 56-57

The BethIntermodal terminal, which is pretty busy with at least one RoadRailer train a day, as well as various foundries/mills that inhabit certain parts of the former steel mill (like BethForge, still in operation...).

Micah
  by SemperFidelis

I'm pretty sure that BethIntermodal also moves the double stacks into and out of the yard area. Far cry from its heyday, but better than nothing.

And yeah, that website hasn't changed in ages. Maybe they'll update to a nice, 2004-ish MySpace page.
  by cjvrr

Last time I was up that way in February you could see a 'boat load' of switchers stored in the middle of the yard too. Not sure how many there were, but there were plenty. Some more were parked outside the small enginehouse too, not sure how many of those are still serviceable.

Anybody know just how many units they have stored?