Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by buddah

new update on the design of the LRC business class seating,
" The winning interior finish package created by Feature Walters / SAI is pre-engineered for rapid and efficient installation in the existing 1st Class cars"
Same site I linked before (old link deleted) however now it is official, this will be the new look.

http://www.featurefactory.com/projectsh ... &category=

still waiting to hear about coach/ comfort class...
  by electricron

Is VIA planning on repainting the outside of the LRC cars with a new livery, a livery to match the newly refurbished F40 and P42 locomotives?
  by timberley

electricron wrote:Is VIA planning on repainting the outside of the LRC cars with a new livery, a livery to match the newly refurbished F40 and P42 locomotives?
That's what I've heard. VIA's original rebuilding announcement did mention that they would receive new paint at the same time, presumably something similar to the Renaissance paint on the locomotives, maybe similar to the Ren coaches. We'll have to wait and see.
  by timberley

There is word that the first rebuilt LRC Club car was released from IRSI Moncton today, and left Moncton on the back of tonight's VIA 15. Anyone along the line and in Montreal might want to be on the lookout!
  by timberley

I just got a look at some first photos of the car, and it looks great!

It's actually not a club car though, but rather the first coach, #3315. The first club is to be released some time soon as well.

The only visual differences I can see outside are that the car now has the Renaissance dark green at the bottom, an extra thin yellow stripe at the top to line up with the stripes on the locos and Ren cars, and no "Canada" wordmark or flag on the side. The only logo on the side is the newer "VIA Rail Canada" logo, in the same spot as it was before. The marker lights on the end have been removed, although the bases are still there, just covered over.

Can't wait to see more photos of the car, both outside and in, and of the rest of the cars as they come along.
  by chriskay

Any possibility you could share any of those photos with us? :D
  by warwgn3

I hope they're going to rebuild some of the cars to be service/bar cars. would be nice to get out of your coach seat and stretch your legs, like you can do on the renn cars.
  by timberley

chriskay wrote:Any possibility you could share any of those photos with us? :D
Unfortunately they're not mine (nor on the web), so I can't. But I will be sure to link any photos that I can as soon as I find them.

@warwgn3 The plan is to rebuild the clubs as clubs and the coaches as coaches. That's it, no service cars. The only major interior change is that the club cars will have 2+1 seating like in the Ren cars, so they will be more spacious. I think the galley might also be getting relocated in the car, but I'm not sure on that one. We'll see soon enough.
  by warwgn3

timberley wrote:
chriskay wrote:Any possibility you could share any of those photos with us? :D
Unfortunately they're not mine (nor on the web), so I can't. But I will be sure to link any photos that I can as soon as I find them.

@warwgn3 The plan is to rebuild the clubs as clubs and the coaches as coaches. That's it, no service cars. The only major interior change is that the club cars will have 2+1 seating like in the Ren cars, so they will be more spacious. I think the galley might also be getting relocated in the car, but I'm not sure on that one. We'll see soon enough.
Club car = VIA-1 Business class coach?
  by timberley

warwgn3 wrote: Club car = VIA-1 Business class coach?
Yes, that's right.
  by timberley

For anybody on Facebook, there are now photos posted on the Canadian Railway Observations page. These show both the outside and inside of the new coach.

The interior looks similar to the old coaches, but with new (and very colourful) seat upholstery, and individual curtains like the club cars currently have. Overall, it looks very bright and clean.
  by timberley

For any of you who haven't seen a photo of the new coach yet, Matt Soknacki over on the Canadian Passenger Rail Yahoo group posted this photo of 3315 on VIA 64 earlier, as it is now running about in testing:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h74/m ... G_2228.jpg

For any of you who read Canadian Railway Observations, there will be more photos (inside and out) of the new car in the April issue.
  by buddah

Nice to see they finally got 1 car finished and in testing now looms the question of how long before the rest of the 100 car fleet gets its overhaul. At lease I can say this for VIA they should get the job done well before the fleet needs to be retired or overhauled again.... the same is usually never said for Amtrak...lol
  by Montrealrail

since end of March,3315 are still at Montreal's VIA Center

make me think about the 80's paint scheme,because no Canada tag at the bottom center of the car..
I just pass by today and the 3315 did not moved from this place..

unusual thing,no more "end of train" lights..
like actually
  by electricron

Can you see any differences in the wheels or trucks? I have read somewhere, although I can't remember now, that they were going to disable the tilting capabilities of these cars during this refit. Just wanted to know if that can be detected from a distance.